Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > Site Announcements
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2018, 08:52 PM

Default Iíve been scammed

67springfield sent a reply to a WTB add in the classified section it all sounded legit until I noticed the pics he sent me in an eBay add. Checked the name and address he gave and it came up as an elderly woman. Currently dealing with the post office trying to get a refund on the money order. The email he uses is 067springfield@gmail.Com and the name he used was Kim Culbertson at 1001 Warfel st Salem MO

Last edited by Maxipum; 09-13-2018 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:03 PM

No such member listed on these forums. One of the first things I do when I get messages about sales ads is look up their info/history here. Dodged a couple that way.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:06 PM

Yep lesson learned.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:09 PM

It is really odd that the forum allows non-members to message members like that. They have forum names, but when you click for more info it gives a forum error because they are not "officially" members yet.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:48 PM

A lot of tech savvy thieves out there. They don't work a real job. This is how they make a living. Should be caught, drawn and quartet. IMO

Veteran US Army, Artillery
NRA Member
My Dad was a Gun Captain on the USS Enterprise CV-6 WWll
Old 09-14-2018, 03:15 AM
Super Moderator

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxipum View Post
67springfield sent a reply to a WTB add in the classified section it all sounded legit until I noticed the pics he sent me in an eBay add. Checked the name and address he gave and it came up as an elderly woman. Currently dealing with the post office trying to get a refund on the money order. The email he uses is 067springfield@gmail.Com and the name he used was Kim Culbertson at 1001 Warfel st Salem MO
James,
I'm sorry to hear that. The registered IP address for that user comes back to Canada. I have removed that user and hope you are able to get some resolution with the post office.

This serves as a good example of verifying an identity when receiving PMs from those who have not yet established their forum membership (see below).
If ANYONE receives a PM from someone offering to sell something, please don't hesitate to post here and I will look into their account/info and advise.

Regards,
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogtripper View Post
It is really odd that the forum allows non-members to message members like that. They have forum names, but when you click for more info it gives a forum error because they are not "officially" members yet.
It's just how vBulletin works, the software behind this and a myriad of forums.
Reason they allow PMs to be sent by members who have applied to join a forum is so they can reach out to those who run the forum to communicate various administrative items, particularly those forums that charge a fee to join. However, it also allows them to send PMs to other forum members.

As you stated, if someone gets a PM from someone offering to sell an item, they should:

1. Check to see if they are an accepted member. If not, post their information in this sub-forum and we will check their status,
2. Check to see if anyone has feedback or information on them,
3. Google their username, email address and any other information...good chance you will find something as these scammers throw a wide net and hit many different forums.

As stated in the forum rules/policies, the CMP is NOT responsible for Marketplace and/or private transactions that occur in conjunction with the forum.

Caveat Emptor
Rob

CMP Customer / GCA Member / VFW & NRA Life Member

Feedback Thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137544