Go Back   CMP Forums > Marketplace > My Gun DB
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2016, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blockhead View Post
People are still buying this program? Sadly, I would recommend against that. I began using the program when it was still in the testing phase, but several years ago it stopped working and I've been unable to get any help from the programmer. If someone successfully jumps ship to NM Collector please post here.
I'll let you know what I come up with, but I am currently out of town for work so it might be a little bit.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blockhead View Post
If someone successfully jumps ship to NM Collector please post here.
Blockhead,
Just a follow up with my experience using NM Collector. I ran into a little bump when getting everything into an excel format, but I am using a MacBook. NM Collector quickly helped resolve the issue, which was actually pretty minor, take a look at the thread I started in his section for full details. After that was resolved it was pretty easy, maybe 15 minutes of "real work" for the text portion of the database. A little bummed that my pictures did not carry over, but I am not surprised, so I am currently adding pictures, luckily I am somewhat organized with my gun pictures. I am happy enough with the program that I already purchased the full program rather than keep using the 30 day demo/trial. Hope this helps a little.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:42 PM

Thumbs up Migrating Pictures

Actually, with a little more work, you can bring the pictures over. I need to update the migration instructions to capture this. If you exported the sample data that comes with NM Collector to get your csv format you will notice that there is a folder named Firearms1 in the same directory as your exported file. This folder contains the pictures for the item 1 (value of 1 in the NMCSWITEMID column) in your csv file.

I do not know how you will get your pictures from My Gun DB but I am assuming that they are exported somehow. So, this is how you can import those pictures into NM Collector. Please see screen captures below.

When you manipulate the csv file to import data into NM Collector, make sure you add unique (please, no duplicates!) sequential numbers in the NMCSWITEMID column. Then, add a folder containing pictures of each item in the same directory as your csv file. Name the folder according to the NMCSWITEMID in your csv file. So, if your gun with an item number of 3 has pictures, create a folder named Firearms3 and put your pictures for that item in that folder.

Here are the pictures:

Sample data export directory contents:

Contents of csv file with sample NM Collector Data:

Adding pictures folders for firearms 2 and 3:

Thanks,
Old 05-19-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwcritch View Post
Blockhead,
Just a follow up with my experience using NM Collector. I ran into a little bump when getting everything into an excel format, but I am using a MacBook. NM Collector quickly helped resolve the issue, which was actually pretty minor, take a look at the thread I started in his section for full details. After that was resolved it was pretty easy, maybe 15 minutes of "real work" for the text portion of the database. A little bummed that my pictures did not carry over, but I am not surprised, so I am currently adding pictures, luckily I am somewhat organized with my gun pictures. I am happy enough with the program that I already purchased the full program rather than keep using the 30 day demo/trial. Hope this helps a little.

Thanks for the update! I'm definitely going to look at jumping ship and will check out your thread momentarily.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:09 AM

I have the program and have not had any issues except the latest version except when the program loads there are errors referring to Brownell's and the program is limited to 10guns.. The issue with this software is a total lack of customer support by failing to respond to issues regarding license numbers. I had some guns stolen and the update would not allow me to use my old password to reload the database so I could report the serial number of the firearms stolen. I emailed the "Wolfrage guy" and after over three weeks he failed to reply with any fix for my issue. So all those people including myself who upgraded could not use the database program. I finally was able to find a copy of the old program on an old computer that I retired. That is the program I am using now. I tried to buy another copy but the passcode was never sent and my Paypal account was never charged. It might be that the terse emails I sent to him regarding my situation made him angry. I really expected more from him due to the tie-in with CMP and the good folks on the board here. I have read the excuses that he offered and they are reminiscent of programmers in the past who either could not or would not follow through on there obligation to the customers that they solicited to purchase the product. The programmer has the right idea in building a database for collectors and reloaders and seems to grasp their needs. This man has left a lot of people hanging with a unsupported database. The least this man should do is to finish his work by removing the errors and furnish his past users with their license numbers so people who have paid their money have proper access to their database. If I were in his shoes, I would be so ashamed that I let so many people down.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:20 PM

Default Why is this thread still around?

I got this program as soon as Wolfrage made it available. It worked fine for as long as I needed it. When the medical bills forced me to thin out the collection to a handful I stopped using it.

Since the last contact was made and no one is getting support I am surprised that the mods have retained their support by leaving this around.
Sounds like nmCollector has a handle on a good program. Good luck with it!

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index raeed4@comcast.net
I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 06-21-2016, 08:45 PM

+1 for the boot
Old 08-28-2016, 07:08 PM

Default MyGunDB broken and totally unsupported? Caveat Emptor

I purchased the CMP "special" edition of MyGunDB on 10-Oct-2013.

It has never worked properly for me (Windows 7 on Dell PC):
- version 1.99.12 installed
- online changelog stops at version 1.99.9
- problems similar to others (e.g. BETA_TESTING_BROWNELLS errors, HTTP request errors, etc).

Many problems with http://mygundb.com website include:
- has not been updated in 5 years
- rendering errors appear on most pages (e.g. "This button could not be generated")
- still claims to be "The #1 firearm inventory software for collectors with over 100,000 users!"
- last "Review" posted over 4 years ago
- the "Gun Guys" review is several years old
- selecting "help" results in "database connection" errors
- the "contests" are years out of date and expired

This software appers to be completely and totally unsupported:
- no updates in years (MAC and Android versions last updated Aug 2013)
- funtionality is slowly degrading over time
- have never received any responses to several support tickets filed in last 3 years

Given how professional the CMP is, I am very surprised this software
is still promoted on the CMP web site.

The software still being "sold" for $44.95 - Caveat Emptor.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:44 PM

Just to keep this as the last statement, I will say again. THIS PROGRAM IS BROKEN, UNSUPPORTED AND QUESTIONS/TICKETS SUBMITTED TO THE DEVELOPER ARE NOT RESPONDED TO. DO NOT BUY THIS PROGRAM. Now I have a sore throat from yelling.

GuapoPogi

Last edited by GuapoPogi; 05-22-2017 at 06:45 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-29-2016, 12:16 AM

Default Check out the developers facebook page!

This is MyGunDBs facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/MyGunDB
It includes this marvelous statement from the developer dated August 11, 2015:

While we've been on hiatus awhile, we are back, baby!

the developer now claims to have over 175,000 users - that means this person has raked in over $8,700,000! I do not care what family problems he may have had, for that amount of income he surely could have hired SOME programmer to maintain MyGunDB!

The consensus of replies is this:

It's quite apparent that they've taken our money and run.

Dont be fooled by any comments made by the developer; as GuapoPogi said, MyGunDB is dead, dead, dead.

Last edited by ragtowne; 08-29-2016 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Added comment about price