Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2019, 08:32 PM

Actually the for sale forum has been under threat of being shut down how many times, then? That event was just the most egregious.

I remember another guy (not just the 2) who wasn't involved in making up the certificates but had been in some sort of engagement with one of those guys and had been selling shooter Carbines and Garands while some were moderately to quite collectible. He offered a CMP Garand with pretty desirable receiver for sale he was selling for a high end CMP auction buyer and detailed all the parts. However, after a couple people asked him public specifics about parts (that he answered), someone posted (and maybe it was a moderator) stating that the rifle was definitely a CMP offering but it wasn't sold with the now correct barrel that it was offered with but not divulged. Seller didn't really explain that. Not long ago someone who posted many times of his knowledge of Carbines offered an 'original' Inland for about $4000 which had Riverbank parts. Another frequent poster sold an import marked Carbine for $2500 which was worth about $1500, but the buyer wasn't a Carbine collector and didn't do his due diligence.

I really like the Carbine I got here recently, but I had help in determining the value. A member here sold a Carbine on Gun Broker that I wish I'd have gotten. But I wasn't in the house to bid when it ended and someone got a good deal.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:52 PM

If you want a shooter, just collect a parts kit and get a Fulton receiver. Or, just wait - I saw a nice GI model sell stupid cheap on another site a few months ago!

Eli
Old 07-08-2019, 11:20 PM

Again I'd rely on the scrutiny and vetting by the forum members of these pieces as they come up for sale. But I also realize the tendency to grab it up quick before someone else types in the famous "I'll Take It" line in the first reply to the posting.

I think as some folks have said it here before and I would second that there are enough of these floating around and the right one will come up if you have enough patience and keep your eyes open.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:47 AM

I have decided that my purchase will eventually be through an established member here. I looked back over the months and there is plenty that have come up that I would have purchased on the marketplace here and more likely to trust than say grabbing one from GB. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esevadjian View Post
Again I'd rely on the scrutiny and vetting by the forum members of these pieces as they come up for sale. But I also realize the tendency to grab it up quick before someone else types in the famous "I'll Take It" line in the first reply to the posting.

I think as some folks have said it here before and I would second that there are enough of these floating around and the right one will come up if you have enough patience and keep your eyes open.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esevadjian View Post
Yes, they need to be vetted, but nobody informed the guy who overpaid by 1000 of his gaff. Nobody is allowed to post on the for-sale postings to praise or expose items, without exception. So nothing gets vetted publicly. And it was for sale for several days before committed to so there was time. So a few people treat forums like farms where they can profit from inexperience instead of getting what the sales sites will bare.

Also, the one sold on Gun Broker cheaply was sold by a well established Carbine member here, who has read this thread. He has high integrity and chooses not to sell here where there are no fees to pay for selling. I truly regret not being inside when it ended. Flip sight, type I band. Sweet.

Let me add that we post on these sites because we love the hobby. You learn the actual ins and outs and get to see stuff you don't have but would like to.

I watch several forums (not just gun sites) and have repeatedly where the people who behave badly will go as far as to create new usernames to pretend to sell their wares to new members to post praise for themselves so that actual newbs will believe the hype and take the bait to buy from them.

I once discovered a thread on this site where it appears that seller in Alabama spoken about initially here joined and posted a couple of times trolling people.

Last edited by Big_Red; 07-11-2019 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Combine consecutive posts
Old 07-18-2019, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Ring View Post
If you are wanting a carbine, keep checking the For Sale here. I should be listing one soon. I have seen some nice ones come up for sale here and I have bought them too. If you have any question about one you have found, feel free to PM me to discuses it. I enjoy helping people catch the carbine bug.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=248252
BEWARE BillySteph!

I inherited a Carbine (my first milsurp) that dad (Taps '09) carried in RVN, came here to learn about them, and I think this guy said something about a 'collecting bug'. "P f f t t t", I said...

5 months later, I owned 6 Carbines.

I don't say 'pffttt' anymore..................................

Did any Americans STOP waving their US Flags on 09/11/01, because their arms were tired from waving it on 09/10/01?
Old 07-27-2019, 01:05 PM

I've been active in this area for 10-15 years. The people on these forums were warning everyone about using repo parts. The answer was "If I sell it, I will take the repo parts off and replace the original parts." Sure you will...

Certain things made collectors drool, type 1 bands and Flip sights. Repo parts were rampant in those days and still are today. If I were looking for a shooter, I would look for a mixmaster from the NRA sales in the 60's. All worn out parts were changed, all upgraded parts were fitted and the carbine was put to bed in some armory. If the Carbine was made late, there were thousands that were just as they left the factory with type 2-3 sights and type 2 bands. You got a new gun for $20. Today, Type 2 bands are worth a lot of money because they were not used very long.

I would look in the rebuild area and forget anything that has suspect parts. You get the best shooters and usually low mile guns.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:52 PM

The couple M1 Carbine rifles I own came from the CMP and I haven’t changed anything on them. I feel comfortable that they are genuinely USGI...and that’s how I sleep well at night!!
Old 07-27-2019, 03:24 PM

I am hoping to find someone that bought one from CMP when they had them and just put it in the safe till now, wishful thinking I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T38Carbine View Post
The couple M1 Carbine rifles I own came from the CMP and I havenít changed anything on them. I feel comfortable that they are genuinely USGI...and thatís how I sleep well at night!!
Old 07-27-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillySteph View Post
I am hoping to find someone that bought one from CMP when they had them and just put it in the safe till now, wishful thinking I know.
Be patient...they turn up!!