Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2019, 05:57 PM

I was preparing to build a M14 last summer and then managed to break my shoulder so that project went on hold.

My plan was to buy a Bula Barrel Receiver complete with headspaced bolt. What I hadn’t considered is if these barrels are chrome lined so need to investigate and confirm.

I have a beautiful H&R M14 parts kit and have wanted an M14 clone for so long. I just need to pull the money together and study what I need to worry about in the “Assembly” of said barreled action into my kit which I assume should be easy.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:24 PM

I work for Bula and built a bunch of clones where the only commercial part was the receiver. They went together fine and shot as expected. I've also built a few hundred new production rifles, including other manufacturers' parts. I will tell you that ALL manufacturers of M14 parts and receivers, past and current have variations in tolerances. New production stocks, magazines are also an issue. If I were in your position, I'd rely on Ted Brown nf1e, or Tony Ben's opinion and workmanship.

Last edited by Deuceguy; 07-18-2019 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-17-2019, 08:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarterbore View Post
I was preparing to build a M14 last summer and then managed to break my shoulder so that project went on hold.

My plan was to buy a Bula Barrel Receiver complete with headspaced bolt. What I hadn’t considered is if these barrels are chrome lined so need to investigate and confirm.

I have a beautiful H&R M14 parts kit and have wanted an M14 clone for so long. I just need to pull the money together and study what I need to worry about in the “Assembly” of said barreled action into my kit which I assume should be easy.
The one book you should own for both the Garand and M14 types....
https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Caliber-O.../dp/B0006F5XOW

I did my first build last year with the same packages you have/want(Dupage M14 HR parts kit). Take your time and do your research and it really is a piece of cake. Really nothing to "worry" about.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuceguy View Post
I work for Bula and built a bunch of clones where the only commercial part was the receiver. They went together fine and shot as expected. I've also built a few hundred new production rifles, including other manufacturers' parts. I will tell you that ALL manufacturers of M14 parts and receivers, past and current have variations in tolerances. New production stocks, magazines are also an issue. If I were in your position, I'd rely on Ted Brown or Tony Ben's opinion and workmanship.
Josh, will Bula be offering an after 4th of July sale this year?
Old 07-18-2019, 07:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to ROC Send a message via MSN to ROC Send a message via Yahoo to ROC

Sounds like an adventure compared to Garands. I do have a gc wrench and gas tube cleaning tool set. I'll acquire more as I go. I'll keep your suggestions handy when I get to those parts. Bought a nice SA walnut stock from Treeline, it's a beautiful stock. Found both vented and black handguards. I'll patiently watch for a great deal on the br. Have a selector kit coming in too. Anything else you think for great usgi rifle?
Old 07-18-2019, 07:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to ROC Send a message via MSN to ROC Send a message via Yahoo to ROC

I missed a few of the other posts and appreciate all the advise and wisdom offered. I'll check out the book recommended and get going on this. I know where to find great advice if I run into a snag.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:19 AM

I do have a gc wrench

The Garand wrench is a different dimension than the M14 wrench. I have both and they are not interchangable.

Another good book with a lot of great info, examples and pix is available from Fulton.

The M14 Complete Assembly Guide by Walt Kuleck and Clint McKee.

Rich
Old 07-18-2019, 09:09 AM

Yes, got the wrench for the M14 GC from Sadlak.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:12 AM

Book is on the way, thanks.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:09 PM

I have not heard of any sales as of yet. I will keep everyone posted.