Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2017, 07:40 PM

It appears that there are two piece "drop in" quad rails (not much different than standard handguards) and "free float" quadrails. I recall a specific answer from Mark that free float HGs were not allowed in MM. Too bad that this can not be clarified and also that the entire MM match is such a confusing morass. My answer has been a heavy barrel on my M4 with the standard sling swivel. It makes weight with a small scope....and it will clean the prones. I will go to a free float if and when I am convinced it is allowed. Good Shooting. ...

Last edited by ceresco; 05-10-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:07 PM

Just to add a few things that may be usefull: The one piece AR cantilever scope mounts weigh 6 to 7.5 ounces . The last two I bought off Ebay were skeletonized (6 oz), cost less than $10 ea., have a bubble level and are completely adequate. However, don't over tighten any Chinese threads..... With a Weaver K 2.5 to 4X scope, weight is right around 16 ounces. I have the heaviest barrel I could find on my M4 and it is around 8.25 lbs with any of the above setups. A few ounces could be saved with a smaller, simple, fixed power scope and two high rings for mounting. Cutting off the top of the issue front sight would also save an ounce or so. Not difficult to make the weight limit. After trying over a dozen scopes, I have concluded that reticles (and sight pictures) are important, but a matter of personal preference. I am pretty sure that none of the "lighted" variety work in daylight match shooting on the SR targets--and they weigh more. Choose your poison. The scoped AR will beat the other MM rifles, but I still imagine the M14.... Good Shooting. ...