Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfed View Post
. . . . . The original bolt appears to be lost to the ages, but a correct one, properly polished, would look a lot nicer than the parkerized "J 5" bolt that it has now.
Why not polish the J5 you now have?

That would be slick-sliding, double-heat treated bolt that would work just fine! --Jim
Old 07-06-2017, 05:19 PM

I concur with JimF's suggestion.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Why not polish the J5 you now have?

That would be slick-sliding, double-heat treated bolt that would work just fine! --Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
I concur with JimF's suggestion.
That is certainly an option. But how hard is removing parkerizing?
Old 07-07-2017, 02:01 PM

If it was me I'd just polish your J5 bolt. If I replaced it, I'd look for a N.S. bolt, but I don't think it would do you anything more than give you a warm fuzzy. The J5 bolt is a good bolt and is obviously head spaced to the rifle. Having said that, it all works good as a system and as they say - "if it isn't broke then why fix it?"
Old 07-07-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfed View Post
That is certainly an option. But how hard is removing parkerizing?
If you have some Muriatic acid just soak it for several minutes and rinse THOROUGHLY with fresh water, rub it with steel wool while rinsing. Dry thoroughly with compressed air or a hair dryer. Then, polish with wet/or dry paper. Use something for a lubricant to prevent loading of the paper. Kerosene, mineral spirits, WD-40, light oil, etc. No need to use very fine abrasive. 180 grit new to begin, and "used" 180 grit to finish.

If you can, look at an original polished bolt to discern the polishing mark directions.

HTH,

Emri
Old 07-07-2017, 07:06 PM

you must be VERY careful using Muriatic acid! Its not something to just do in your kitchen, that stuff can be very dangerous, even deadly. Here's some tips...

• Wear full-face protection, a respirator, thick, full-coverage clothing, and acid-resistant protective gloves when working with muriatic acid.

• Muriatic acid must be diluted in water. Though degree of dilution will vary depending on the job, the general formula is one-part muriatic acid to 10 parts water.

• When making a dilution, slowly and carefully pour the acid into the water. Never add water to acid, as an exothermic reaction will occur, propelling the acid out of the container and onto you.

• Never pour muriatic acid into an empty vessel. Fill the container with the right amount of water before adding the acid.

• Never mix muriatic acid with other acids.

• Only mix muriatic acid in a glass or acid-resistant plastic container.

• Always store muriatic acid in the container it came in.

• Keep a supply of baking soda or garden lime nearby in case you need to quickly neutralize muriatic acid. While sprinkling these substances full-strength will work, the best plan is to mix cup of baking soda and a quart of water in a sealed spray bottle and keep it nearby.

• Work with a hose or large container of water nearby to wash skin in case of accidental splashing.

• If using muriatic acid on large surface areas, it will need to be applied with a plastic sprayer. The plastic is bound to deteriorate quickly, so you’ll likely need more than one to complete the job.

• Contact your local recycling center for instructions on safe disposal of muriatic acid in your area.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:48 PM

Damn! that muriatic acid sounds nasty.

I did find this place that polishes bolts for about $40.

http://www.fincherscorner.com/store/..._Products.html

Anyone have any experience with Fincher's Corner?
Old 07-10-2017, 09:25 PM

Polishing it yourself seems easy enough. I would do it myself. The NRA Sporter bolt has distinguishing polishing characteristics. Fincher's Corner may or may not have an NRA Sporter bolt, or good photos, to see how to polish it.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:15 AM

I'd take my time with the bolt. You can send it to the outfit you posted but it will come back looking like a newly (and highly) polished bolt on a 90 year old rifle. You really want something that blends in with the age of the firearm. Take your time and look for an older bolt that is "in the white." You might even find a N.S. bolt in this condition. It will make for a better looking and more convincing package in the end.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S99VG View Post
I'd take my time with the bolt. You can send it to the outfit you posted but it will come back looking like a newly (and highly) polished bolt on a 90 year old rifle. You really want something that blends in with the age of the firearm. Take your time and look for an older bolt that is "in the white." You might even find a N.S. bolt in this condition. It will make for a better looking and more convincing package in the end.
This^ Keep checking ebay, there's quite a few 03 bolts on there all the time.