Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2017, 03:55 PM

Default Santa Fe'd 1903 (NOT A3) questions

Got a Remington 1903 (NOT A3) that was sporterized by Santa Fe that I'm going to attempt to rescue and bring back to military config. More than likely I'll turn it into a 1941 sniper since all collectible value has long since gone down the drain when it was originally sporterized.

Are the barrels on these former military barrels or are they commercial variants that Santa Fe twisted on? If I can remove the sights and re-use it that'd be awesome...but I highly doubt it. Haven't taken a ruler/tape measure to it yet to determine if it's the correct length. Worst case I'll twist the barrel onto an 03A3 receiver I've got that was sporterized and has a rather nice bluing on it. I was going to 03A4gery that one but it's really quite a nice bluing job and hasn't yet been D&T'd

Since I'm a glutton for punishment I might just try to splice the stock back together. The woodworking on it was quite the hack job. I either attempt to "save" it or I'll try to make something from what's left of the old walnut.

Now I just need to find the front sight mount + parts, rear sight assembly, rear sight barrel sleeve, barrel bands, "forestock" piece to splice on, a chunk of 6/4 walnut to splice on for the wrist/buttstock, and a buttplate.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:01 PM

It's probably a military barrel that was cut back to 22-inches. I have a 1903 Remington that was sproterized by Golden State Firearms. It has a chopped down military issue barrel. Post a picture!
Old 06-17-2017, 11:48 AM

Smile 03 parts

Hello,
PM sent
Bob
Old 06-17-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S99VG View Post
It's probably a military barrel that was cut back to 22-inches. I have a 1903 Remington that was sproterized by Golden State Firearms. It has a chopped down military issue barrel. Post a picture!
I'll have to sort out a new photo hosting website. Photobucket's new format and requirement to had adblocker disabled is a deal killer now.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1rodeoboater View Post
I'll have to sort out a new photo hosting website. Photobucket's new format and requirement to had adblocker disabled is a deal killer now.
Imgur.com is the way to go in my opinion
Old 07-12-2017, 08:46 AM

I bought a Santa Fe a few years back. It was all GI with no modifications except that it was blued. It had a beautiful scant stock finished in shiny varnish. I rebuilt it with a recovered drill rifle Remington receiver, shot blasted all the metal and reparked it on the stove, and stripped and BLO'd the stock. It came out great. I've since had Chuck in Denver reform the bolt and drill and mount a genuine Redfield Junior mount, making a great 1903A4 clone. The only challenge was unscrewing the barrel from the Santa Fe receiver. It would not budge. I eventually slit the receiver and spread it with a chisel. I was told the Santa Fe receivers are brittle castings. I can assure you they are not. It was very strong and very malleable.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:22 AM

this is a 1903 that was commercially sporterized by Santa Fe arms .
not a cast made 1903a3,
the ones iv seen were ok.
barrels were usually original G.I. and cut back to 22 inches,
Golden state and Santa Fe were pretty much the same company.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:51 AM

Ah, I missed that.