Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_landstuhl View Post
I rebarreled an M1903A3 with a NOS barrel from 1944. As expected, the chamber was short, so I finished it with a reamer. The bolt closes easy on a go gauge, closes snug on commercial ammo, and closes tight on CMP surplus Greek HXP ammo. From searching the 'net, I see this is not uncommon.

I have no experience with bolt actions, so I was wondering if there was any harm or danger in shooting the Greek ammo.
Shot Greek HP in a Club match a couple of years ago in a high number Rock Island. Rapid fire prone. The first five rounds went well. Reloaded with a stripper clip and the first round was hard to chamber. Fired okay. The second round felt the same but I was in the grove and chambered the round anyway. Fired and was sprayed on my left cheek with gas out of the hatcher hole. I was wearing shooting glasses. Stopped shooting, ejected the spent cartridge and found the case had split from the head half way to the neck. Never fired it in an 03 again. Too tight. Worked fine in my Garands.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:03 PM

Bonnie: Your experience was almost certainly a defective case, not a headspace or "fit" issue. Very rare with HXP, less rare with Korean PS. Interestingly, possibly the worst failure I personally experienced (not HXP) was a case split starting from the primer pocket. I am sure the split was there prior to firing, increased the case diameter (I remember it was difficult to chamber) and let go with an impressive sheet of flame out both sides of a Ruger No1. Sound familiar?? Good Shooting. ...
Old 07-11-2017, 07:08 PM

i had a greek HXP squib a bullet half way down, so bad i couldnt get it out, even cutting the barrel in half, it was lodged in good.
one out of a thousand
Old 07-12-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie View Post
Shot Greek HP in a Club match a couple of years ago in a high number Rock Island. Rapid fire prone. The first five rounds went well. Reloaded with a stripper clip and the first round was hard to chamber. Fired okay. The second round felt the same but I was in the grove and chambered the round anyway. Fired and was sprayed on my left cheek with gas out of the hatcher hole. I was wearing shooting glasses. Stopped shooting, ejected the spent cartridge and found the case had split from the head half way to the neck. Never fired it in an 03 again. Too tight. Worked fine in my Garands.
As Ceresco said, it was almost certainly a very rare case failure. The same thing happened to me 3 years ago. I have a photo of the failed case here:
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=153294
Old 07-12-2017, 11:44 AM

Last summer I had a series of HXP cases split (circumferentially) just (barely) above the extractor groove. It only happened with a specific batch loaded for the CP Game matches and only with a certain 1917. I am not new to handloading, but I still have no good explanation for what happened. The first splits were at home prepping for the matches. I dismissed it as an aberation. After the 2nd one let go in the Vintage match, I packed up and quit shooting. I use a light load for match shooting which reduced the severity of the leaks, but even with glasses, it was still completely unacceptable. No real message here except....shooting glasses!! Good Shooting. ....