Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2014, 06:39 PM

Default What it takes to be competitive - advice and tips

The discipline and practice of fundamental marksmanship is as old as firearms themselves. Over the years the rifles have changed, but the fundamentals of making a well aimed round hit exactly where it was intended have never changed.
Every course of fire in CMP competition has it's roots in basic military training. The value of basic knowledge in the discipline of fundamental marksmanship has been proven throughout our history. From the pioneers that needed to eat and protect themselves, to every armed conflict America has fought, the effective use individual arms cannot be understated. It doesn't matter how young someone was when they first shot a firearm.
It doesn't matter how many guns one has collected, or what they are worth. It doesn't matter if you are male or female. In fact young women have a unique advantage over men to excel in the discipline because they see it for what it really is. It is a discipline that has to be learned, and by learned it has to be taught by someone that can teach it effectively!

Most red-blooded American men feel like they can hold their own with the fundamental use of a rifle. It is part of our culture, but it isn't true. In fact the very lowest NRA, or military classification of Marksman ranks them in the top 1% of all that have ever used a rifle for any reason.
Rifle competition is the top 1% that are willing to take the discipline to apply fundamental concepts, based on a military standard, as close to perfection as one life span allows. I hear it all the time, "If only I had discovered this sooner in my life" Taking part in the discipline by shooting the matches changes a lifelong gun owner/enthusiast into something new.
Like a young football fan can become an All-American by playing football instead of just watching it, and wearing official jerseys. It's fundamentals of how to run, how to hold the ball, are like how to load, how to use the sling, how to use the positions.

You don't learn the fundamentals by owning guns, having them accurized, or finding the perfect load recipe. The bench is a means to eliminate the fundamentals of marksmanship, and reduce the act of shooting to the pure ability of the equipment, and not the shooter. You will never lose to a better rifle, but you will only lose to better shooters. You learn from others willing to teach, and the experience of competition. Every day at the range has a real purpose.

Get in the game, and make every shot count. We need you in the 1%.
Distinguished Rifleman #2198
NRA HP XTC High Master (service rifle)
NRA Patron Life member
PCGC Junior Team coach
CMP GSM Master Inst.

Last edited by Big_Red; 07-31-2015 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Readability
Old 05-29-2014, 06:55 PM

Great post, Greg! I have said before that precision shooting is nothing less than a quest for perfection.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:55 PM
GSM Master Instructor

Awesome post, Greg...
Mike B
Old 05-29-2014, 09:27 PM

Greg,once again.Well Said.Thank You.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:06 AM

I appreciate this post very much, especially when many more posts represent the collector side of an M1, etc.

Shooting competitions will eliminate the bench use all together. I really hate the bench. Come out and shoot a NRA HP match, a Games Match or just your local run-what-ya-brung match. You'll learn so much more about you, your skills and the rifle's quirks and capabilities. Shooting matches back-to-back can be a real eye opener.

Last edited by Roadkingtrax; 05-30-2014 at 12:14 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:32 PM

This post really drives home what I am just starting to learn. A friend and I go shooting several times a year at his or my club range. Has always been sitting and shooting from a bench. Dawned on me last year that while dammed accurate shooting off a bench I was terrible other wise! Went to a intro to High Power Service Rifle a couple months ago that was put on by the Illinois State Rifle Association and have since shot two matches at my club in Tremont IL. Scores were as I expected low but I had a lot of fun and have been learning more in those two matches than anytime bench shooting. Used a AR the first match and M1A second match. At 63 years old I do not see myself being a high ranked shooter though anything is possible but at least will be able to hit my target from different positions if needed. This has really opened my eyes as to what shooting should be about at least for me.

Last edited by mahd776; 06-03-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:36 AM

Great post Greg. Those are some words that this forum needed badly.
NRA - XTC HP Expert
16 down / 14 to go!
Old 06-15-2014, 03:25 AM
Banned

Great write. I think this ought to be stickey.
Jon
Old 06-15-2014, 01:57 PM

Excellent post, again. It was after reading a similar post of Greg's that I decided to get into the game and step away from the bench. I am one of those "If only I would have discovered this sooner in life..." type or shooters. I wish I would have tried it out many years back rather than just last year as they are so much more enjoyable l and challenging enging than plinking at targets from a bench. Every time I meet someone who owns a .22 rifle or M1 I try to encourage them to try to their hand at a RFS or Service Rifle match as they owe it to themselves and to try it at least once.

Thanks again Greg for your motivational post.

Last edited by Mac Attack; 06-18-2014 at 06:29 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:38 PM

Greg doesn't just talk, he also walks the walk.
Greg is now up to about 20 leg points after earning a bunch at Butner this weekend.
Nice going Greg!