Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > EIC Pistol
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2016, 07:17 AM

Default Regular or Long Slide Marvel 22 Conversion

Just like the title says, any preference from personal experience? I plan on using it on my EIC service pistol frame to maintain similar trigger/grip pattern.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:09 AM

Have a Marvel .22 LR conversion that I use w/ a RIA 1911-A1 frame. I bought it used from a fellow member of another forum devoted to S&W pistols. It cost the grand total of $300 delivered. It came w/ two magazines, product literature and a test target in a soft-side case.

The test target sent shows 10 rounds in a .669 group fired at 50 yds. I have no access to a 50 yd. pistol range. At 25 yds. firing from a Weaver hold I have shot 10 shot groups under 2 inches. To many that may seem unremarkable. But, I am 59 years old w/ three glaucoma surgeries behind me and waiting for the cataracts to finally get bad enough for surgery. On the whole, I consider my current on target results with the Marvel to be excellent.

Reliability has been sterling. I have routinely fired this Marvel using CCI Mini-Mags, Aguila, Fed. Auto-Match, CCI SV. The conversion will easily run hundreds of rounds w/o any failure to function. I do brush it out after each 50 round string of fire simply out of habit. This is the same way I maintain my S&W 18-3. I wipe it off and brush it out after ever 50 rds.

The Marvel has not worked well with Winchester Wildcat .22 LR ammo as there were instances of failures to eject. One round had a rim blow out. Winchester replaced all the ammo from that batch. There was not damage to the pistol. The same batch of ammo gave problems w/ function in a Ruger MK. II that was otherwise faultless with the other above mentioned ammo types. HTH. Sincerely. bruce.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:21 AM

Is it standard length or long slide? How does it balance compared to a 5" 1911?
Old 09-03-2016, 03:02 PM

Check out Nelson Custom conversions as well--less expensive and weight of the sight rib is supposed to match that of a .45. Also, it's a more recent design of Bob Marvel's.

That said, it's hard to go wrong with either Marvel or Nelson.

Have you considered using a conversion with a red dot to train for Service Pistol? That's Brian Zins's recommendation.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:57 AM

Zero benefit to a long slide. Use a standard length. I have had two Nelson conversions, they are top notch.

Derek
Old 09-04-2016, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBore870 View Post
Is it standard length or long slide? How does it balance compared to a 5" 1911?
Beg you pardon. Failed to mention... standard length slide. Have never weighed the unit. Barrel is much heavier. Slide is aluminum. At least to me, the balance is the same. HTH. Sincerely. bruce.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:07 PM

Is the Nelson just as accurate as the MP Unit 1? For equal accuracy and lock back at a lower price that would be a no-brainer.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:05 AM

There is no accuracy guarantee, but most, including myself have gotten the same accuracy~ 1/2" at 50 yards with the Nelson and it has improvements (minor) from Bob Marvel. To me it was a no-brainer.