Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2017, 03:52 PM

Default Snipers At Your Regular Monthly Vintage Rifle Match?

There just aren't many opportunities to shoot your vintage sniper rifle competitively. Camp Butner in the East and wherever it is in the West once per year for Regionals and then once per year at Camp Perry.
Really, due to cost, mostly, I just shoot local monthly Vintage rifle/ CMP matches, anyway.
I have two clubs within driving distance and just talked to the match director for one of them about getting some trigger time with my 03A4gery during his monthly GSVR (good 200 yard walk-down range), shooting the regular prone slow, prone rapid, and offhand same as everyone else, just not in competition with the other folks shooting their iron sighted vintage rifles. I do want to shoot rapid, single loading 5 rounds singal loading after or before the first mag loaded 5 rounds. I also want to try the standing string with the sniper. He's good to go with us (two so far) doing that and thinks bring out our snipers may encourage others to build one for themselves. He's also asking us to think of other courses of fire that could be shot at his range. He has out to 300 yards. First thought is to shoot reduced targets and use the same time limits as the regular sniper match.

If anyone else is shooting something similar at local matches and using your Vintage sniper rifles please give me some details.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:33 PM

Default HCGC Vintage Sniper Match

We shoot one every month. We shoot steel but practice all the same.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:43 PM

Monthly steel matches with the vintage snipers sounds great. At what distances are the steel and how large are they? Do you have unlimited time per shot or limit it to the times of a CMP vintage sniper match?
Any trigger time with the vintage snipers is good. I hope to stir up more interest here and get enough involved to justify having monthly local vintage sniper matches.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:41 AM

Default HCGC Vintage Sniper Match

Our matches are a lot like our tactical rifle matches. At the Club range we shoot to 707 yards at targets that go from a 8" square up to a full IDPA. We shoot different scenarios each time. We also have a 1400 yards range that we we shoot. We have some video on YouTube.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:07 AM
GSM Master Instructor

Not sure where you are located at Vintage, but if you are on the West Coast you can shoot at 600 yards every month at Camp Pendleton, if interested reply.

EIC total points:
(4) SAFS Camp Perry 2014--381.8
(12) Western PacFleet All Navy Matches 2016--464.9
(20) Western PacFleet All Navy Matches 2017--479.11
Old 05-03-2017, 03:54 PM

We ran one last year after Perry (Sept.), wasn't sanctioned by the CMP as our range is also only 300yds, but we do have pits. For the 600 yd stage we used the MR63 target, which worked out fine. Everyone had a good time and it's on the schedule again this year.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:33 PM

Saw one today. They shot last relay during a large Vintage match. Only 2 of them. Kind of neat to see the "sniper sticks" aka moving targets.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:31 AM

I designed and set up a VS Match at our club a few years ago, when we only had a few guys with VS rifles. Last month we had (7) teams and 5 guys "standing by" hoping to get on a team for the VS Match. We have a 300 yard "walk & paste" Range, with a "knoll" at about 470 yards.

Here's how we do it (and it works well);

We shoot the 1st course of fire from the knoll at 470 at 8:00 am. We do this because we're shooting kind of over the top of the Range House and so we don't impact other areas of the club. In reality, it's more to the side of it, but our elevation is above it. We use NRA "MR" target black bulls for this string. They are 500 yard Mid-Range Target sizes (30" black). After 5 minute sighters, we drive (walk) down and paste/conceal holes (more about this later), then return and shoot the string for record. After scoring, we change the target bulls from MR's to SR-3 centers, which are the 300 yard centers. We move the firing line up to the Range House (actually in front of it) and proceed with sighters, pasting and then record shots.

Our target bulls are hand/home made. We do this for the instant feedback of shot placement, so the "Spotter" Team member can advise the Shooter Team member. It works very well. We make our target bulls into "Shoot-N-See" type targets. We use fluorescent lime green papered foamboard (from Walmart) coated with regular 2" wide clear glossy packing tape. We spray that taped surface with cheap flat black spray paint (Walmart), and then add the concentric scoring rings with white "Painters" liquid paint pens (Walmart). We make the target bulls in advance and it's a shared duty- one guy cuts the round bull out of the foamboard sheets, another guy tapes them, another sprays them flat black and another applies the concentric scoring rings. We make enough to last a year or two at a time (we have one of these Matches almost every other month now due to the popularity).

We staple these black Bulls to a standard "SR" target so the "white" scoring rings are concentric to the black Bull. To this point, we have run the Matches to the "old" 20 second fire and 20 second "cease fire" commands, but hopefully I may finally be able to convince the old guys that just like the KTS electronic targets (that are up and visible the entire time as well), we need to implement the "Fire", "Cease Fire & Dismount", "Standby" and "Fire" commands. It's tough to teach old dogs new tricks.... I've tried to explain in the past that it's not in the spirit of the Match to be able to sight the target during the "Cease Fire" portion, but many of the old farts think it takes their advantage away, lol....

Anyway, that's how we do it and it has been quite successful for us. We now have probably a few dozen VS Rifles owned by club members, with more wanting to get in on the fun.