Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2017, 06:36 PM

Default K98 With or Without Cleaning Rod Attached?

Does anyone have experience shooting CMP or NRA matches with the K98 with or without the cleaning rod attached? I've recently started shooting a K98 and have left the cleaning rod screwed in. It's grouping OK, but I'm wondering if it may shoot even a little more consistently with the rod removed. I don't see many folks shooting K98s so haven't been able to get any thoughts related to this from our local matches.
Thanks
Old 04-11-2017, 08:35 PM

I shot mine last year at the Eastern Games. I don't have a cleaning rod for it. Ended up getting a bronze medal. Shot a 263 if I remember correctly.
Jim
Old 04-11-2017, 08:50 PM

Have fired a golf bag full of K-98's, some with and some without the cleaning rod. Have not ever seen it make any difference in the on target results. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the info. A little kicker with my K98 is that I'm shooting it with high turret mounts and a Weaver 4X scope. It should be noticable which way is more consistent over a course of fire. I'll try it without the rod in our next local match and compare my scores/groups with the last match scores shot with the rod.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:21 PM

I'm curious:

What makes you think the cleaning rod would/could/might have any effect on the accuracy of the rifle?
Old 04-13-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce View Post
Have fired a golf bag full of K-98's, some with and some without the cleaning rod. Have not ever seen it make any difference in the on target results. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.
Same here, easily. Never seen any difference either, and honestly can't imagine why there might be. The rod is short and doesn't have much mass, tends to fit well, and screws into a nut set into the stock.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:48 AM

Well I don't know and that's why I asked for other's experiences. I do wonder, because ramrods either inserted or not do seem to make a difference and maybe it's also true for cleaning rods. I once had a Ramrod bayonnetTrapdoor Springfield that would spray 405 grain bullets all over with it installed yet would group well with it removed. I know that's different than the lighter cleaning rod, ...but, I still wonder
I invested time in "carefully fitting wood to metal", installing the mounts and scope, and finding a good shooting load for this K98 and would shoot it either with or without the rod even if it even only very slightly improved the group.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:20 AM

All I can tell you is I almost lost my cleaning rod on my shooter K98. Luck have me it fell off onto the bench and found it in the space between the boards...so I didn't notice any increase in accuracy at any point that day. I do how ever remove anything I don't use or need from any gun that's not needed to shoot.