Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2017, 04:24 PM

Default new competition shooter

I'm trying to get into match shooting, I've never shot in a serious competition before but it's always been a dream of mine. I'm an ammo troop on Whiteman AFB, and have three M1's (5.4 mil SA, 5.4 mil IHC, 2.4 mil M1D) and an M1917. I want to get into the AF shooting team but NO ONE here, and I mean NO ONE knows anything about competition shooting, or even small matches in missouri alone. Some one help! I'm excited but stuck in the dark!

Last edited by brooktrout; 05-03-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:14 PM

Go to Camp Perry and attend the Small Arms Firing School (Rifle) it is a very good "primer" on Competition Shooting. Then you should attend the M1 Garand and Vintage Rifle Matches. You will probably run into shooters from your area and/or other AF competitive shooters.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:26 PM

How much does that class cost?
Old 05-03-2017, 05:29 PM

Are you active? If you are you might could check out the A10 reserve unit there. Spent some time with them in Afghanistan back in 2014. A lot of'em in to firearms and stuff. I just retired for the air guard and we had a rifle team.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:35 PM

Yes, 509 MUNS/509 MXS/509 BW, and yeah? What unit? I've got a hand full of friends in the 442nd FG, great guys, those A10s are great planes, unfortunately and fortunately I'm working with the B2 part of WAFB. But back on topic, yes, I'll talk to some of them and see what they say. Thanks for the lead. And also, how was your team set up? Because my NCOs also pitched the idea that I could start a team since there isn't anything for us here and nothing near by
Old 05-03-2017, 06:02 PM

The team was set up along time ago. From what I have heard, it was a big deal back in the day. In the last 20 years it has gone from hot to warn to cold, luke warm and so on. Don't know how the active duty does it. The guard has its on POC. The team consist of an OIC, BMC (base marksmenship coordinator) and a alternate, both can be enlisted. Have to have a secure place to store weapons and a good buddy at the "AMMO" section to help with the ammo paper work and storage. My advice would be to go in to epubs and start looking up the regs that deal with marksmanship. A hight ranking person that you could get on board would be a good thing. Good luck..

Old retired structural guard guy.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:19 PM

Thanks for the info, it's a start that's for sure
Old 05-03-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooktrout View Post
Thanks for the info, it's a start that's for sure
If you want good solid quality answers then join http://usrifleteams.com/forums

Many of the best HP shooters in the country are members and more than a few service team past and present members participate and can help get you on the road.
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
CMP GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
Old 05-04-2017, 04:57 AM

SAFS $45 for adults.
http://thecmp.org/competitions/cmp-n...iring-schools/

Info on Nationals at Camp Perry:
http://thecmp.org/competitions/cmp-national-matches/
Old 05-05-2017, 08:54 AM

If you check out the "Regional Matches and Events" section at the bottom of the main forum page, you'll see matches listed for Missouri. There's a current posting for a club in the Marshall MO area (http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=209745) and I bet they'd be happy to give you all the help you need to get started in competitive shooting.