Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2017, 02:38 PM

Default GSM Service Rifle Clinic newbie

I'm participating in a Garand - Springfield Service Rifle Clinic next week (6/03). The clinic is conducted by CMP Master instructors. This is more of a clinic and what to expect than it is a match. This is the first vintage military firearm clinic or match that I've ever registered for. I've been wanting to enter a competition or two at Camp Perry for the last few years but things just never worked out. This year I have vacation scheduled around most of the CMP's national matches.

The question I have is when I participate in this clinic next week if I use one of my Carbine's will this allow me to participate in all the following vintage matches ? If not if I used one of my Garands or my 03A3 would that allow me to participate ?

National Carbine Match
CMP Garand Match
CMP Springfield / Vintage Bolt Rifle Match
CMP Vintage Sniper Match

Thank you for any responses and hope to see you at Perry this year !!
Old 05-26-2017, 03:41 PM

You'll be allowed to shoot whatever rifle you want that's included in the various match formats at the National Matches or any CMP GSM matches regardless of what you choose to shoot at the Clinic. You may want to check with the folks running the clinic about a few details unless you already know, do they have specific rifles allowed for the clinic, and is it a full match following the clinic or just practice firing? Are you firing at full GSM distance of 200 yards or reduced 100 yards? I'd recomend if it's 200 yards that you use an M1 as it's more capable than a carbine at 200 and the carbine is only shiot at 100 yards for CMP carbine matches. They are for-fun-matches, so really, shoot wharever will be most fun, and the best practice for what your interests are.
You'll have a great time I'm sure!

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor

Last edited by Craftsman; 05-26-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:20 PM

Small point, but the M1 Carbine and Johnson 1941 are allowed to shoot with M1s in the CMP Garand matches. This would include the Nation Matches at Camp Perry. Good Shooting. ....
Old 05-26-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman View Post
You'll be allowed to shoot whatever rifle you want that's included in the various match formats at the National Matches or any CMP GSM matches regardless of what you choose to shoot at the Clinic. You may want to check with the folks running the clinic about a few details unless you already know, do they have specific rifles allowed for the clinic, and is it a full match following the clinic or just practice firing? Are you firing at full GSM distance of 200 yards or reduced 100 yards? I'd recomend if it's 200 yards that you use an M1 as it's more capable than a carbine at 200 and the carbine is only shiot at 100 yards for CMP carbine matches. They are for-fun-matches, so really, shoot wharever will be most fun, and the best practice for what your interests are.
You'll have a great time I'm sure!
The instructor contacted me a few days ago to remind me as I paid the fee in February. He said I could shoot whatever I wanted Carbine, Garand, 03A3 and a few others as long as they were an as issued military rifle. It's a 6 hour clinic with 1 hour at the range. It's not really a match but they do score. They cover the different firing positions, using a sling and also how running the pits work. As far as distance it says 200 yards but they may also use targets designed for 100 yards. I've never been to this range as it's 1.5 hours away but the instructor is always at the NE Ohio gun shows and we typically talk CMP, Garands and Carbines for an hour at each show. I never really asked him about if the clinic covers all vintage military matches at the nationals.

One of my problems I have now is the range I typically go to has been under construction for renovations for the last month so I've been unable to get any practice for that time to make sure the sites are still on.

I'm sure I'll have a good time and it will be interesting for sure. Thank You for the information. I'm looking forward to it. My GF and I are going to Sandusky tomorrow for the weekend and we are going to make a stop at the NS. Maybe I'll come away with another Carbine or Garand!!
Old 06-05-2017, 10:17 PM

Default Excellent clinic !!

The GSM Service Rifle Clinic was awesome ! Doug and Liam the CMP instructors were great. I think I learned more in the one day clinic on shooting vintage military firearms than I've learned in the last few years.

The weather was awesome so the range time was great, long but great. It gives you an excellent view of what to expect if you intend to go to Camp Perry for the nationals and compete. A new big time respect for the competitors.

I would highly recommend it to anyone that has not been to one of these clinics to signup for one even if you are not planning a trip to Perry to compete in the Nationals. The positions, how to use a sling and the history of all vintage military rifles was awesome.

The clinic was at 100 yards with reduced targets so I decided to use a Carbine instead of a Garand. I may take it again the next time they have another Clinic and use a Garand. The standing portion of the shooting was crazy but very informative as to what I need to work on.

Last edited by Chas100; 06-07-2017 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Added information
Old 06-05-2017, 10:53 PM

Glad to hear about it!

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 06-07-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas100 View Post
The GSM Service Rifle Clinic was awesome ! Doug and Eiam the CMP instructors were great. I think I learned more in the one day clinic on shooting vintage military firearms than I've learned in the last few years.

The weather was awesome so the range time was great, long but great. It gives you an excellent view of what to expect if you intend to go to Camp Perry for the nationals and compete. A new big time respect for the competitors.

I would highly recommend it to anyone that has not been to one of these clinics to signup for one even if you are not planning a trip to Perry to compete in the Nationals. The positions, how to use a sling and the history of all vintage military rifles was awesome.

The clinic was at 100 yards with reduced targets so I decided to use a Carbine instead of a Garand. I may take it again the next time they have another Clinic and use a Garand. The standing portion of the shooting was crazy but very informative as to what I need to work on.
Chas100 -

Thanks for the kind words! You guys made for one of the best Clinics Doug and I have taught in 6 years....excellent turn out and good helpers (thanks Brett, Randy and Ed!) and good weather made for a fantastic day (sorry we kept you in the sun, but it was pretty close to how you'd feel up at Perry in July/August with no shade!). Hope we passed along enough information to get you going to more matches, and up to Camp Perry as well!

You are more than welcome to come back as many times as you'd like, and pass on your good experiences to more folks.

Good shooting and keep 'em in the black!

Regards, Liam
Long-time Garanditis Sufferer (thanks Rob Boxler)

Last edited by Lymongood; 06-07-2017 at 09:49 PM. Reason: signature
Old 06-07-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lymongood View Post
Chas100 -

Thanks for the kind words! You guys made for one of the best Clinics Doug and I have taught in 6 years....excellent turn out and good helpers (thanks Brett, Randy and Ed!) and good weather made for a fantastic day (sorry we kept you in the sun, but it was pretty close to how you'd feel up at Perry in July/August with no shade!). Hope we passed along enough information to get you going to more matches, and up to Camp Perry as well!

You are more than welcome to come back as many times as you'd like, and pass on your good experiences to more folks.

Good shooting and keep 'em in the black!

Regards, Liam
Thank You Liam !!

It was an excellent clinic Thanks to you Doug and the rest. The sun wasn't bad at all and better that then rain. I definitely have a new found respect for the participants at Perry. I will be there and hope to participate in a match this year. Your information and professionalism made this clinic one of the best I've ever participated in. You took time to make sure that everyone got the most out of the clinic. I truly thank you for that !!

Have a great day and best of luck with your participation at the Nationals this year. I hope I can make it up for the Rattle Battle !!!

Chas
Old 06-19-2017, 08:10 PM

Default Instructors that want to do a good job

I know both of these fellas, Doug and Liam, and they look forward to these clinics they put on just about as much as the participants. They start getting ready for these way in advance, so they will do a good job, and they try to pass on much needed info and techniques to new shooters so they will be prepared for perry when they decide to do a shoot. Good job you guys and keep up the good work.................Shotgun
Old 06-20-2017, 03:38 PM

Chas, we are having a double wood rifle match July 8 at Alliance rifle club( www.alliancerifleclub.us ) in Malvern as a tune-up before Perry. 200yd and will be run just like a JCG match, full pits,JCG line commands/safety rules etc..Open to any wood stocked milsurps capable of the JCG course of fire. 2 full matches back to back if desired.

Last edited by VALKRIDER; 06-20-2017 at 03:41 PM.