Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2017, 01:25 PM

Sure looks like a NRA Sporter to me. The next thing I'd do is verify its authenticity. The parts were all available from the NRA for years so guys could modify their existing service rifles. If you got it for 525-bucks you got a steal and I am one envious SOB! I'd expect an authentic 1903 NRA Sporter to go for more than a stock 1922 M1 or M2, which seem to average around 1500-bucks - give or take. Of course now you need the 1922 NRA .22 to make a matching set. You have just "gone down the rabbit hole" my friend.

PS - my three favorite vintage center fire bolt guns are the 1903 NRA Sporter, Sedgley 1903 sporters, and Savage's 1920 - 20/26. The latter was the first commercially produced bolt gun that used the 98 Muaser action. I think it beat Remington out of the gate with their Model 30 - which was an ungainly thing that was based on the 1917 action.

Last edited by S99VG; 06-04-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfed View Post
Thanks, Herschel.

I'm hoping for the best on this rifle. I tried to bid based on the uncertainties of buying at an online auction. I got it for $525, plus a 13% "buyers premium"...call it $600.

Hoping at that price, it was still a good deal...even with some warts.

I've heard that the barrel profile on the Sporter is different than a regular 1903 barrel. Do you know if that is true and how different the Sporter barrel is?
The barrel should have a star gage and it is of a slightly heavier contour than the service rifle. The contour is the same as the 1922 M1 and M2 rifles. Also, the raceways should be brightly polished as well as the bolt. The bolt should also have the serial number etched in. Brophy's book describes the NRA Sporter in adequate detail. Go find a copy and look it up. And I'm still an envious SOB!

Last edited by S99VG; 06-04-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 01:40 PM

Thanks, S99VG!

The auction description said that the rifle had a "Star Crown", which sounds like a star gauge mark.

Here is a pic of the muzzle end of the barrel, although it doesn't reveal much.

Old 06-04-2017, 04:13 PM

Picture of a "star gage" mark from VI shooters Site courtesy of Johnny Peppers.

http://www.vishooter.net/m1903/MZL_STR.JPG
Old 06-04-2017, 08:03 PM

If it was a converted NM service rifle with the star gage you will see the pin alignment grooves on the barrel where the rear sight collar was installed. The barrel contours for the standard and star gage service rifles were the same. If you don't have the groves then you likely have the heavier contour barrel as they never had the rear sights installed. I've been looking for one of these for years so I am still a bit green with envy. I think you did good.

PS - I have a 1922 M2 service issue.22 with the heavy contour barrel. I may take it apart to oil the stock soon. If I do I'll mike the barrel and send you the specs.

Last edited by S99VG; 06-04-2017 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Barrel, not stock
Old 06-04-2017, 08:13 PM

Order the sales receipt and that should answer a lot of your questions.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:15 PM

Barrel code should be visible when removed from the stock.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGaynor View Post
Picture of a "star gage" mark from VI shooters Site courtesy of Johnny Peppers.

http://www.vishooter.net/m1903/MZL_STR.JPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
Barrel code should be visible when removed from the stock.

Thanks, JD and Rkt
Old 06-04-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S99VG View Post
If it was a converted NM service rifle with the star gage you will see the pin alignment grooves on the barrel where the rear sight collar was installed. The barrel contours for the standard and star gage service rifles were the same. If you don't have the groves then you likely have the heavier contour barrel as they never had the rear sights installed. I've been looking for one of these for years so I am still a bit green with envy. I think you did good.

PS - I have a 1922 M2 service issue.22 with the heavy contour barrel. I may take it apart to oil the stock soon. If I do I'll mike the barrel and send you the specs.

Thanks, S99VG.

I've pored over the pics, but can not see the alignment grooves. They aren't very good pictures, though.

I've got a NM service rifle with a star gauge. Did you indicate that profile for the star gauge barrel for both the Sporter and the NM rifle is the same and that the profile is heavier than for a standard service rifle barrel?
Old 06-04-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEaterPilot View Post
Order the sales receipt and that should answer a lot of your questions.
I'm a member of the Martial Arms Collectors/ Springfield Research Service and sent a request to them. I'll post what they have.