Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfed View Post
I'm a member of the Martial Arms Collectors/ Springfield Research Service and sent a request to them. I'll post what they have.
I can't say I'm thoroughly pleased with that organization presently, however they are the only source for DCM sales receipts and they are golden. The individual who purchased the rifle as well as the model ordered provides invaluable information.

These rifles were NOT cheap during the Great Depression, those who could afford them, they have a paper trail as to their story (some more than others). Their story can be captivating.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:28 PM

That rifle was a bargain. A used NRA Sporter stock alone sold on an internet auction for $500.00+ in the last few months.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfed View Post
Thanks, S99VG.

I've pored over the pics, but can not see the alignment grooves. They aren't very good pictures, though.

I've got a NM service rifle with a star gauge. Did you indicate that profile for the star gauge barrel for both the Sporter and the NM rifle is the same and that the profile is heavier than for a standard service rifle barrel?
The NRA Sporter, and it alone, had the heavy contour barrel. All heavy contour NRA Sporter barrels should have the star gauge mark. The rear sight collar cannot be fitted to the heavy contour sporter barrel because it is to thick.

Service issue riles had the lighter countour barrels. Service rifles may, or may not, have the star guage mark. If they have the mark then they were likely assembled for purposes of match shooting. If they do not have the mark then they were likely assembled for general issue to the troops. But this is not to say that some general issue 03s were never used for match shooting.

As I understand it, the NRA Sporter did not qualify for match shooting under the rules for Camp Perry. This is because the National Matches were designed to promote riflemanship with the standard issue 03 for purposes of war time preparation. The idea was that with the National Matches our country would always have a pool of skilled shooters who could be called up to serve as instructors to the troops in the event of a war. In this context it makes no sense competing with the 1903 NRA Sporter at Camp Perry as it would have never been issued as a battle weapon. The NRA Sporter was a hunting rifle.

Last edited by S99VG; 06-04-2017 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
That rifle was a bargain. A used NRA Sporter stock alone sold on an internet auction for $500.00+ in the last few months.
Glad to hear that.

Here is the auction listing...

https://holtauction.hibid.com/lot/32...e/?ref=catalog
Old 06-04-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S99VG View Post
The NRA Sporter, and it alone, had the heavy contour barrel. All heavy contour NRA Sporter barrels should have the star gauge mark. The rear sight collar cannot be fitted to the heavy contour sporter barrel because it is to thick.

Service issue riles had the lighter countour barrels. Service rifles may, or may not, have the star guage mark. If they have the mark then they were likely assembled for purposes of match shooting. If they do not have the mark then they were likely assembled for general issue to the troops. But this is not to say that some general issue 03s were never used for match shooting.

As I understand it, the NRA Sporter did not qualify for match shooting under the rules for Camp Perry. This is because the National Matches were designed to promote riflemanship with the standard issue 03 for purposes of war time preparation. The idea was that with the National Matches our country would always have a pool of skilled shooters who could be called up to serve as instructors to the troops in the event of a war. In this context it makes no sense competing with the 1903 NRA Sporter at Camp Perry as it would have never been issued as a battle weapon.
Thanks for the explanation, S99
Old 06-04-2017, 10:18 PM

I have a hunch you got a screaming deal. You will have to tell the story after you get it all straightened out. And, if you ever see another one please give me a call! I'm still green. Very green!
Old 06-05-2017, 08:28 AM

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but another hallmark of SA-built Sporters is the rounded over face on the front receiver ring. I have an SRS-papered Sporter and when compared to a service rifle receiver, it's very noticeable. Congrats on a nice rifle.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 218bee View Post
Don't know if it's been mentioned, but another hallmark of SA-built Sporters is the rounded over face on the front receiver ring. I have an SRS-papered Sporter and when compared to a service rifle receiver, it's very noticeable. Congrats on a nice rifle.
It hasn't been mentioned and you are correct. Can you post a picture of this detail?
Old 06-16-2017, 06:01 PM

The sporter arrived at my FFL this afternoon and I got a chance to give it a quick once over before it went into the safe for the obligatory 10 day "cooling off" period.

I could not find any indexing groove on the barrel for a normal 1903 rear sight and the barrel seemed to be slightly different in profile to my 1903 military profile barrels. It does have the star gauge on the crown.

Bore is shiny and sharp.

Bluing is in very good condition, except a bit faded on the floor plate.

I could not find any cartouches on the stock, which appears to be in good shape and solid.

The striker and cocking piece of the bolt is bright blue. The bolt body is parkerized and I could only find a punch mark on the bolt handle...no letters or numbers.

I grabbed a few pictures...

Old 06-16-2017, 06:12 PM

I like it! Can't wait to see how it shoots.