Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2017, 01:25 PM

Default CMP stock sets

How are they in regards to fitment? Thinking about getting one for my 1903 de-sporterization build project and one for a 03A4gery (I know it'll need the handguard retainer cut
Old 06-25-2017, 01:47 PM
Banned

The two I had were awful. First, I had to re-drill the bushing hole and acraglas a steel bushing in place. After that came all of the sanding and cutting to properly settle the action in the stock.

Don't expect a drop-in fit. Once I finished fitting the stock my rifle was noticeably more accurate. As for the cracking issues- make sure the tang is clear of the stock and tighten your action screws.

1) Tighten front screw
2) Tighten rear screw
3) Fire five rounds
4) Repeat items 1 and 2
5) Check screws before each range trip

Last edited by tinydata; 06-25-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:51 PM

Yeesh that doesn't sound good at all. Who made these stocks? Wonder if that Italian company would be better.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:13 PM
Banned

Boyds made the CMP M1903 stock sets. They're incredibly incompetent and while the wood itself is decent, the geometry is all off.

I've never used a Minelli stock as I returned my example due to a knot in the wood. Other people seem to report excellent results. Sarco and Numrich also offer stocks but I have never seen one and can't comment on the quality.

I have personally returned to GI stocks for the time being until someone makes a decent finger groove or pre-war C stock.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:15 PM

Sarco is out. Numrich has some stocks but their lack of descriptions is off putting. I'll have to call and ask some questions.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:19 PM

I just got a 1903 about a month ago. And it was a pain in the back side fitting it. A lot of sanding and fitting.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:14 PM
Banned

At this time, I would say Minelli is probably the best bet. Virtually all positive reports and the quality of machining on mine was very high.

This is the best guide that I have seen:

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/sho...ca-build/page2

Good luck!

Last edited by tinydata; 06-25-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:28 PM

I will second most of the negative comments regarding the CMP 1903 stocks. Additionally, I strongly suggest anyone with one make the special screwdriver to fit the recoil bolts and tighten them before it's too late. I am eating the value of several that have broken recoil shoulders. This is seen in 1903 stocks occasionally, but much more often in the CMP stocks. The recoil bolts have been 1 to 2 turns loose in every one so far. Once the recoil shoulder let's go; the tang will move back and take out that area as well. Proper repair is possible but often the chip behind the tang is gone making a good, clean repair impossible. This can happen even you are diligent about keeping the guard screws tight. Using the CMP stocks on sniper rifles (with the heavy 600 yard loads) is particularly risky. Good Shooting. ...
Old 06-26-2017, 07:19 AM

I guess I got lucky? I bought an S style straight stock a couple years ago and it dropped in with no problems. I think it is a Boyd's.

https://goo.gl/photos/eNMEb7mrJyHWZtgP7

Last edited by luigi; 06-26-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:12 AM
Banned

Drop in can be met at several levels. In most cases, yes, you can reassemble the rifle with a stock fresh out of the box. However, to truly get good performance it takes some careful cutting and sanding to ensure proper wood to metal fit.