Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2017, 09:37 PM

FWIW I don't expect drop in and go type fit. I would rather fit the wood to the receiver/barrel since these are going on competition rifles. But if dimensions are off and having to epoxy in stuff makes the rifle ineligible for CMP comps they will be unsuitable.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:34 AM

I wouldn't count out SARCO stocks if your looking for function, I build up a forgery using a SARCO. First match at perry took a silver, second bronze. It feels solid when you pull the trigger. It's not pretty with 03 grooves filled in on the side. If your after fit,finish and function then you will have to spend more. Still needed minor in letting but it's solid
Old 07-01-2017, 07:49 AM

Just another note I also wanted a stock that I wouldn't mind dinging up, and if I bubbad up the bolt cut ( which I did). My scope, a weaver K2.5, $10.00 from a gun show in Wisconsin. Totally budget and earns more than cotton
Old 07-01-2017, 10:19 AM

I am tempted to get one of their drill rifles in a C stock and just sell off what I don't need. Maybe keep the reciever around as a paperweight or something.

Pretty much the only way to get a C stock from them right now.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:22 AM

I understand, I just picked up a Boyd's on eBay cheaper than CMP. A note on Boyd's, a lot more in letting and finishing, they removed some key wood in the rear stock bolt area. Although not critical was a nice project, don't jump on a drill just for the stock, nothing wrong with a CMP.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:10 PM

I'd not be buying it just for the stock. There are a few small parts I could use that could make it worth while
Old 07-10-2017, 09:27 AM

the last 15 or so iv fitted from the CMP were good over all,
they still for some reason use brass rather then metal for the rear tang bushing,
i swap those out, and glue them in place,
the screw holes are a bit over sized and just guessing im thinking to make it easier for the average person to install the screw.
if your using repro screws,, they will stip out easy,
if your using G.I. screws, they seem to work ok.
i tap the holes like they should be, and use soap on the screw going in.
i open up the rear tang area a bit, and chamfer that edge,
G.I. trigger guards should also be used, as rerpos are over sized and not very straight.
the finish that comes on them is a type of sealer, i leave it on, and stain and finish over it, with much better results then removing the sealer.

Sarco sold C stocks are not Walnut, have no idea what hard wood they are. same for the C stocks gun parts corp is selling.
i wont fit or finish these stocks anymore

Last edited by chuckindenver; 07-10-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:06 AM

I recently finished another 1941 replica using a GI C stock off a CMP drill rifle. The stock is infinitely superior to the repro CMP stocks I have. While I haven't purchased from CMP for several years, I am doubtful they are much better than the ones I have on hand. Will check out the current product soon if North store has any. Good Shooting. ...
Old 07-10-2017, 11:23 AM

they have improved, for a while i wouldnt even work on them,
have done a few over the last year, not bad,, no G.I. but not bad..
Old 07-11-2017, 12:47 AM

Default 1903a4 stock

I bought a MINELLI S.P.A. - 1903A3 WALNUT STOCK from Brownell's over a year ago for a 1903 A4 clone project. A barreled receiver drops in like a glove fit. The trigger housing fit with a stamped USGI Remington trigger housing is very generous. The hole for the rear trigger guard screw bushing is oversize. I could machine a bushing with an oversize O.D. or use ACRAGLAS to install a standard bushing. I need to determine which would be best direction if I ever decided to shoot CMP competitions.

Brian