Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2017, 09:02 AM

Default Interesting '03

I have been going through my modest collection and was looking at a very early RIA '03, serial number, 57,XXX, which I believe puts it in the first year or so of RIA production. It has been through rebuild at least once, possibly more.
Well, it has the Hatcher Hole and I was wondering if it has the pipe wrench marks typical of USMC installation. So I pulled the handguard, and sure enough, the wrench marks were there.
Barrel is SA 1-42
Stock is a Type-C with RIA FK in a box.

I would love to share a few pics with you, but I need a little help. My old PC is a Gateway from2002, and I have an old dumb flip phone with no internet. I took 4 pics with my flip phone, so if someone can send me a PM with their cell number,I can send them the pics via text message, and then you can post them here on this thread. (I know,it's time to upgrade soon to a new PC).
Old 07-12-2017, 11:07 AM

Old 07-12-2017, 06:05 PM

Dont meant to dash your hopes but the wrench marks typically are deeper, fewer in number and run along the barrel.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaliman View Post
Dont meant to dash your hopes but the wrench marks typically are deeper, fewer in number and run along the barrel.
I've been collecting and studying these rifles for over 35 years, but I am no expert. There is a lot of stuff I have learned here on this forum, and one is that many USMC barrels were screwed on using a pipe wrench....
So your reply got me thinking, how does he know this???
The teeth on a pipe wrench would leave marks running parallel with the barrel, and mine are going the wrong way. Do I need to get this rifle back out and take it out of the stock and take a few more pics and see if there are any marks on the bottom of the barrel? The pics I took are a bit fuzzy. Sort of hard to tell the depth of the marks, but like you said, they don't appear very deep,and are going the wrong direction.
I've seen many barrels installed on various rifles,and typically the barrel is clamped down, and a receiver wrench is used to turn the receiver either onto or off the barrel. So it seems the USMC clamped down the receiver and used a pipe wrench to turn the barrel...
So how do you explain the marks on my barrel??? Maybe the vice/clamp used to hold the barrel had something in it to give it more grip???
I appreciate your thoughts and comments.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:20 AM

Yeah didn't mean to say they couldn't be some kind of vice wrench Mark, just that they're not the proto-typical vice marks associated with a USMC Rebuild.

I would love to see some more pics before trying to classify this as "possible USMC" or not. The 1-42 barrel is nice, but does it have a stipples buttplate, serial'd bolt, enlarged bolt gas hole, etc. And while it may not be the end all be all there really aren't any USMC serial hits close.

As always, the more detailed pictures the better.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaliman View Post
Yeah didn't mean to say they couldn't be some kind of vice wrench Mark, just that they're not the proto-typical vice marks associated with a USMC Rebuild.

I would love to see some more pics before trying to classify this as "possible USMC" or not. The 1-42 barrel is nice, but does it have a stipples buttplate, serial'd bolt, enlarged bolt gas hole, etc. And while it may not be the end all be all there really aren't any USMC serial hits close.

As always, the more detailed pictures the better.
I'm on vacation, but sort of busy getting caught up on my work around the house and yard. Big garage with lots of projects, and my veggie garden needs attention. Hopefully today or tomorrow I can dig it back out of my safe and get some better pics. The ones I took came out a bit fuzzy...
I do believe the bolt is still the old straight handled case hardened unit. I do not believe the butt plate is stippled.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:16 AM

Default USMC barrel marks

Check the website www.m1garandrifles.com under the military bolt action rifle forum. There are nice photos showing the marks
on a Sedgley 9-41 USMC barrel installed in SA 1031506.

Also there are photos from a SA 1-31 dated barrel that was purchased from Great Lakes at the retail store long time ago, same type of barrel marks

It has been stated that a large chuck was used on these barrels