Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2017, 06:40 PM

Default Trouble with bolt hitting scope bell on 03A4

I recently acquired a Springfield 03A4 replica from James River Armory. I wanted it to look authentic, so Ive been replacing a lot of the metal parts on the rifle with GI parts. Well, a few of those items ended up being the scope, rings, and mount. I bought a nice Weaver K2.5, 1" Redfield vertical rings, and a parkerized non-tapered Redfield base. The base only has the S on the bottom of the mount. After it was all tightened down, now the bolt contacts the scope bell. The bolt is not an 03A4 bolt, it was heated, bent, and ground probably by James River Armory. Should I look harder for an 03A4 original bolt?...should I grind down the area that contacts the scope bell. That would be hard to do without looking bubba-ized.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:53 PM

An original bolt is going to cost a chunk of change. I'd put on a Weaver 330 or Lyman Alaskan Scope or one of the replicas that are now available. That in itself would probably fix your problem.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:17 PM

A NOS stripped bolt is approx. $15. Quick fix is to simply grind a crescent in the handle. Done properly, they can look very good. There are many other options utilizing different bolts, mounts, rings and scopes. Weaver K 2.5s are not all the same. Early ones have a smaller diameter bell. There are also significant differences in the Redfield type bases. The thickest ones are from CMP kits. Made in China and about 0.10" thicker, they raise the scope, allowing more clearance. The Redfield rings were also made in different heights. Weaver K 2.5X scopes are good quality and CMP legal for the sniper match, but that is about all there is to recommend them. It is not easy to get enough eye relief, the eyepiece (as you have noted) is large and they were never military issue for the A4. I suggest doing more looking and possibly go with an Alaskan or one of the repro military scopes. Good Shooting. ..
Old 07-16-2017, 12:47 AM

I would rather have someone do a crescent grind on a brand new nos bolt instead of switch to a new scope. Theres a lot to be said for a bigger scope tube...but Im not totally opposed to a Lyman Alaskan either. I do not possess the means to make a crescent grind on a bolt...is there someone out there that offers that service?
Old 07-16-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedmoor03A4 View Post
I would rather have someone do a crescent grind on a brand new nos bolt instead of switch to a new scope. Theres a lot to be said for a bigger scope tube...but Im not totally opposed to a Lyman Alaskan either. I do not possess the means to make a crescent grind on a bolt...is there someone out there that offers that service?
You never supplied your location info in your profile. I'm sure there are plenty of guys local to you with the proper tools to help you out.
Old 07-16-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Should I look harder for an 03A4 original bolt?...should I grind down the area that contacts the scope bell. That would be hard to do without looking bubba-ized.
I have seen
some forum members work and most look far from bubbarized. The one on my Aforgery looks very similar to an original.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:30 AM

Oops yeah, I guess I forgot to fill that out, I live in eastern Ohio...right on the Ohio river, just south of Steubenville

Last edited by Creedmoor03A4; 07-16-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:57 PM

How many O3A4s do you have?
Your other post says you are trying to get more accuracy; this thread you say your goal is authenticity.
These are different goals, and affect the decisions.......

JH
Old 07-16-2017, 05:05 PM

I have one. I want it to look authentic because Ill never spend the coin on a real one, but always wanted one...and I do like the period correct parts. Its a James River Armory replica that I plan on shooting often. I have shot Remington 700s for years, but I am a novice when it comes to WWII weapons and Im not afraid to admit it. I would like to know how changing or modifying the bolt handle will affect the accuracy of the weapon? As far as I can tell, just about all the GI parts I have put on it, except the scope, are far nicer than the chinese pieces that were on it when I got it
Old 07-16-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I would like to know how changing or modifying the bolt handle will affect the accuracy of the weapon?
Now a 3rd variable.

Changing the bolt with another serviceable bolt shouldn't affect the accuracy, nor should modifying the bolt handle.
Good luck
JH