Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > CMP Rules
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2019, 12:08 PM

Default 2020 CMP Pistol Rules draft copy

Draft copy of the Pistol Rule Book is available. A sort of troubling change (for me anyway) is the addition of the S&W Model 10 revolver in the Service Pistol list. I sent the CMP an email asking why it was included. Link below.

https://thecmp.org/wp-content/upload...ules_Draft.pdf
Old 11-12-2019, 07:37 PM

I am very happy to see the S&W mod.10 added to the approved list for service pistol. It is truly a Service Revolver as are the Mod. 15, 19, 66, among others. After all the approved firearms list contains 143 different models including several dedicated “Target/Match pistols:
PPC9, P210Target, P210 Legend Target, P220 Match, P220 Super Match, etc
Old 11-13-2019, 03:20 PM

Been finding lots of issues with the rules. There's a thread over on Bullseye-L where I posted my finds.
https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t13508...ol-match-rules

Some serious issues with the grip definition (unless the CMP wants to allow free-pistol style grips), the lead in paragraph for 4.1.9 which refers to the wrong match, general problems with duplication of information and naming conventions, etc...

A really big one is there seems to be no provision for .22 Only 2700s.

Kind of a heavy issue to make my first post on CMP forums, but rules and procedures is more or less what I do for a living and members on Bullseye-L said I should volunteer to the CMP.

Grips like this are legal for CMP .22, CF, and .45.

Find a rule that proves me wrong.

Last edited by Big_Red; 11-13-2019 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Combine consecutive posts
Old 11-14-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang82 View Post
I am very happy to see the S&W mod.10 added to the approved list for service pistol. It is truly a Service Revolver as are the Mod. 15, 19, 66, among others.
On Bullseye-L the question was asked: "Can someone find out if the model 10 allowed for EIC has to have a 4lb trigger? And how would you do that? Getting them up to 2.5 can be a challenge."
Old 11-14-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartybartfast View Post
On Bullseye-L the question was asked: "Can someone find out if the model 10 allowed for EIC has to have a 4lb trigger? And how would you do that? Getting them up to 2.5 can be a challenge."
As I read the service pistol rules, they all have to pick up four pounds, no exceptions. Another reason to ask why they included the Model 10.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRT View Post
As I read the service pistol rules, they all have to pick up four pounds, no exceptions. Another reason to ask why they included the Model 10.
As this is not an exhaustive list, but a list of submitted pistols that have been reviewed and approved, my guess would be that there is a very vocal group (or individual) that have been lobbying for the inclusion for sometime and have either figured out a way to make it legal, or wouldn't accept the impossibility to meet trigger weight as reason for exclusion.

They'll rejoice in the addition, give the rules committee glowing reviews, more importantly (to the committee) stop pestering them, and then fail to ever use one in competition (or get consistently disqualified if/when their match directors are actually doing equipment checks).
Old 11-14-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartybartfast View Post
As this is not an exhaustive list, but a list of submitted pistols that have been reviewed and approved, my guess would be that there is a very vocal group (or individual) that have been lobbying for the inclusion for sometime and have either figured out a way to make it legal, or wouldn't accept the impossibility to meet trigger weight as reason for exclusion.

They'll rejoice in the addition, give the rules committee glowing reviews, more importantly (to the committee) stop pestering them, and then fail to ever use one in competition (or get consistently disqualified if/when their match directors are actually doing equipment checks).

Not to mention they don't have adjustable sights. But it would be nice to have a sub $500 gun that would take leg points, was super easy to reload for, and never threw brass on the ground.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:30 PM

38 SP revolvers for service pistol EICs is nonsensical. We already had Distinguished Revolver matches. As far as the trigger weight, presumably the 4 lb rule would make it de facto double action only.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpm32 View Post
38 SP revolvers for service pistol EICs is nonsensical. We already had Distinguished Revolver matches. As far as the trigger weight, presumably the 4 lb rule would make it de facto double action only.
And that presents a problem since you would have to have someone monitor the revolver shooter to make sure they don't use single action at any time. Just doesn't work. Hopefully the CMP will come to their senses and delete the Model 10.
And since you can't use wadcutters, you're stuck with RN or SWCs, either jacketed or plated.