Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2019, 09:37 AM

Location: Indiana "...upon the east bank of Big Blue River..."

I've only made one trip to the North Store. But, it seems to me that if one watches the forum and is willing to make a last minute road trip(5 hours in my case) gems can be found.

The nicest M1 out of the 10 in my collection, is a beautiful M1D built on a August '41 Winchester receiver purchased in March of 2017 at the North Store.

Just thought I'd say something nice ... carry on.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSimonetti View Post
The CMP thoughtfully waives the marksmanship requirement for older Americans. It might not be a good idea to require a bunch of sedentary seniors, many of whom have already fulfilled the marksmanship requirements long ago, and/or are used to benchrest under a canopy at the local club, to shoot in the perry sun and heat and then pull targets for an hour in order to buy a rifle at the store.

All other Collectors 60 or under who buy at the store have already fulfilled the marksmanship requirements before arriving.
I am referring to adding a requirement for competing in the NTI/P100/Doubles/Team matches for buying garands at the north store during the matches not just the stores in general.

There are other opportunities to buy CMP Garands both in store and mail order for those over 60 and or those who can't compete as mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

Sales at the National Matches should be in support of the National Matches not for locals or for people who want to take a road trip to buy another garand for their safe.
Distinguished Rifleman #2451
Garandthumb.com
Old 08-16-2019, 02:51 PM

Well, since the match time is the only time the North store reliably has anything in inventory, and you don't think I should be allowed to buy a rifle then, why don't they just close the store entirely? That saves me $50-$70 per rifle as an Ohio resident.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:18 PM

I am amazed at how some people on this Forum think they should be entitled to buy a Garand over someone else simply because they are a shooter. I have not participated as a shooter at the National Matches but have supported the Matches as a Range Officer for over 300 hours while I was still working full time over several years. While working in the pits, I too have missed opportunities to purchase a Garand during some years. I drive 5 hours each way to work the Matches and some years just to check out the North Store and Vendors Row. I for one would really miss the North Store if it weren't open to all who make the effort go there to see what is in the racks. I thought that the people on this Forum more mature than the "Me Generation" but maybe I was wrong. Gentlemen, keep on complaining on how the CMP runs the North Store and they will shut it down.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajDave View Post
I am amazed at how some people on this Forum think they should be entitled to buy a Garand over someone else simply because they are a shooter. I have not participated as a shooter at the National Matches but have supported the Matches as a Range Officer for over 300 hours while I was still working full time over several years. While working in the pits, I too have missed opportunities to purchase a Garand during some years. I drive 5 hours each way to work the Matches and some years just to check out the North Store and Vendors Row. I for one would really miss the North Store if it weren't open to all who make the effort go there to see what is in the racks. I thought that the people on this Forum more mature than the "Me Generation" but maybe I was wrong. Gentlemen, keep on complaining on how the CMP runs the North Store and they will shut it down.
Well said Sir.
The gimme all because I deserve it more than others dudes don't seem to realize that everyone's purchases support their shooting.
This entitlement mentality can be like a cancer for some.
What next?
RVN 67-68
Old 08-16-2019, 04:50 PM

That is an interesting view point.

And feel free to just address me directly as opposed to “some people”.

As far as why I feel so “entitled” Check CMPs Mission statement.
Garandthumb.com
Old 08-16-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
Well said Sir.
The gimme all because I deserve it more than others dudes don't seem to realize that everyone's purchases support their shooting.
This entitlement mentality can be like a cancer for some.
What next?
Says the guy that feels "entitled" to brag about a rifle he bought, in the same thread about rifle sales for competitors? Pretty amusing.

http://forums.thecmp.org/showpost.ph...3&postcount=41

Last edited by Roadkingtrax; 08-16-2019 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
Says the guy that feels "entitled" to brag about a rifle he bought, in the same thread about rifles sales for competitors? Pretty amusing.

Maybe he should donate that rifle to a needy collector who got caught in the buffet line and couldn’t make it to the store at 930 on the morning of the NTI
Garandthumb.com
Old 08-16-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
Says the guy that feels "entitled" to brag about a rifle he bought, in the same thread about rifle sales for competitors? Pretty amusing.

Simply sharing good fortune with like minded gentlemen.
I do enjoy my annual trip to NS. 10 hours each way and visiting with friends I have made over the many years attending. Commercial row is a hoot.
Ran a couple hundred rnds of HXP floor sweepings through her today. Sure wish the old eyes could still be assured of the 6.
RVN 67-68
Old 08-16-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoker View Post
I've only made one trip to the North Store. But, it seems to me that if one watches the forum and is willing to make a last minute road trip(5 hours in my case) gems can be found.

The nicest M1 out of the 10 in my collection, is a beautiful M1D built on a August '41 Winchester receiver purchased in March of 2017 at the North Store.

Just thought I'd say something nice ... carry on.
I still remember that day and meeting you and some others, I picked out 2 nice 6 Millions and was eyeing those WRA M1Ds. That was also when a handful of Correct Grade and Collector Grades were being set out in the general "auction purge". It was pretty fully stocked with a whole row of 6 Millions stocked on both sides, 2 rows of Specials, I don't recall any service grades or field grades though and this was before the Turks and Filipinos, so no IHCs. I made a side trip from visiting family in Kalamazoo, MI and got up insanely early and drove over in a rental car. Hit up Jolly Roger and took a look at Lake Erie and made it back by early afternoon. March in Michigan and Ohio can be pretty cold still, I remember that.