Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2015, 12:53 PM

Default Oversize piston / gas cyclinder JCG legal?

I'm thinking about having Columbus Machine Works rebuild my op rod and I was wondering if the service they perform where they will oversize hone an out of spec gas cylinder and install a piston to match would be JCG match legal? I'm thinking probably not...
Old 02-05-2015, 01:16 PM

Probably not, but no one will ever check it and there is a little known provision in the rule book that forgives minor items that do not provide any advantage.... I do not generally like non spec items on a rifle since they will only work in pairs--which must then be maintained........Good Shooting......
Old 02-05-2015, 01:59 PM

Send your oprod to have a new piston of standard size installed and send your gc to the garand guy in nj to have it nickle lined and honed back to spec
Old 02-05-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
Probably not, but no one will ever check it and there is a little known provision in the rule book that forgives minor items that do not provide any advantage.... I do not generally like non spec items on a rifle since they will only work in pairs--which must then be maintained........Good Shooting......
You raise a good point - I think would rather have interchangeable parts that can be replaced easily as opposed to custom pieces that can only be used with one another.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloreman View Post
Send your oprod to have a new piston of standard size installed and send your gc to the garand guy in nj to have it nickle lined and honed back to spec
I've got some gas cylinder gauges on the way from GarandGear.com. If the gas cylinder is out of spec I'll give Garand Guy a shout. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2015, 04:03 PM

When i do a build on a shooter rifle i always lime all
My parts to be as new spec