Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2017, 05:16 PM

Default New with 1903 ladder sight issue

[IMG][/IMG]
Acquired a RA 1903 that appears to be in excellent original condition receiver SN and barrel are both from 1942 and stock looks to be marked with just the JFA stamp and in pristine condition.

The only issue I can find is the rear sight slide won't bind well in the horizontal position. Just touch it and the left side shifts up and the slide drops. The only way I could get it to bind is to shift the left side up and bind it in that position. See the picture.

Any idea what is wrong and how best to fix it? I'd like it to be correct but also want to know if I should leave it alone to preserve the history.

Also any suggestions on how to find a build sheet for a specific rifle to see if it is original?

Yes I'm a noob and this is my first step into the world of WWII rifles. I am looking forward to learning here.

Last edited by Bubblehead751; 01-06-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 06:26 PM

Looks like your slide is bend. Straighten it out and you should be fine. If not, get a new binding screw. Jim
Old 01-06-2017, 08:13 PM

Seasons' Greetings!

I do not see anything bent. Your sight appears to be fitted with a defective drift slide assembly. I note that it doesn't fit properly. Does it have an "R" stamped on the left rear side? Please advise.

If you post a series of closeup pictures of your rifle, I can authenticate it for you. I request that you host the pictures on imgur or other hosting site besides photobucket.

Happy New Year!

J.B.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:36 PM

Slide is bent, with the sight as pictured look down on it from the top, you'll see what I'm talking about. The part that is bent is what wraps around the back side, hence the gap at right. Tap the pin out (right side) remove screw (left side) and slide the upper part to the left (facing in photo, it is dovetailed into the area of the small pin). Now you can remove the stop screw and straighten the bent piece. Support everything when removing screw and be gentle when straightening.

Last edited by Randy A; 01-06-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:24 PM

Default Imgur

Here are a few images. I took a few photos to post before reading replies. Will post more tomorrow. I will also look down at the slide. It feels like something is broken internal to the slide though. Will also post some more detailed pics of the slide and sight.

Thanks for the replies. Truth is I know this is a good looking rifle, but really don't know what I have.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:01 PM

Seasons' Greetings!

After studying your picture closer, I concur with the others that the drift slide appears bent. You will need to carefully dismantle and straighten it, then not torque it down so tight in the future when binding it.

Everything I can see in your pictures appears correct and original to your rifle except the trigger guard, which is from a later rifle.

Happy New Year!

J.B.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:15 PM

Default Trigger guard

Thank you for the advice.

What would the correct trigger guard look like? There is something about the history of an as delivered 1942 rifle. Think it be worth finding the correct trigger guard and any thing else internal or should I just shoot it.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead751 View Post
Thank you for the advice.

What would the correct trigger guard look like? There is something about the history of an as delivered 1942 rifle. Think it be worth finding the correct trigger guard and any thing else internal or should I just shoot it.
Seasons' Greetings!

Whether you choose to shoot your rifle is a personal decision. The correct trigger guard should be stamped, have a small bow, and have a blued finish. Your present trigger guard has a large bow and appears to have a parkerized refinish. You appear to have a reasonably nice rifle and correcting the trigger guard would be a worthwhile endeavor without too much effort or expense.

Happy New Year!

J.B.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy A View Post
Slide is bent, with the sight as pictured look down on it from the top, you'll see what I'm talking about. The part that is bent is what wraps around the back side, hence the gap at right. Tap the pin out (right side) remove screw (left side) and slide the upper part to the left (facing in photo, it is dovetailed into the area of the small pin). Now you can remove the stop screw and straighten the bent piece. Support everything when removing screw and be gentle when straightening.

I looked down on the top of the sight and didn't see any bend. The back of the slide is clear bend though. Also looks like someone has tried to straighten it out before. Looks like there are some small ball peen hammer marks on the left side of the slide.

I'm going to take it out and shoot it with my son before trying to fiddle with it though.

Seems like there is a ton of information on M1 and M1 carbines. I had a much harder time finding anything but SN ranges and dates on the 1903s though.

Thank you for the advice. I think I'm going to really enjoy this forum.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:38 PM

Yep, the back is what I was talking about, the end that the thumb screw is in will be canted toward the front of the rifle. This is quite common, if the sights when laid down take a bump that's usually the first this that gets bent. It hangs out over the edge of the base and is vulnerable. Easy fix though.

Tags
1903, ladder sight