Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2017, 07:48 PM

Default 1st M1, 1st Post, NOT the 1st time spousal unit has rolled her eyes….

Door: Ding Dong
Wife: Who was at the door?
Me: FedEx guy
Wife: What did you order this time? (with that unique tone reserved for husbands)
Me: That rifle I order back in December, they shipped it
Wife: You said you were going to have to pick it up in Alabama so we could visit my Aunt while we were there
Me: That’s cause they said it could take 3-6 months, But it was ready so they shipped it
Wife: You don’t like my Aunt
Me: Yes I do, I love your whole family
Wife So, what’s so special about this one?
Me: It’s an M1 Garand, from WWII to Korea, they don’t make them any more
Wife: So…you bought a used gun they don’t make any more?
Me: But it’s an M1!
Wife: Used
Me: But I did get the version with a new barrel and wood
Wife: So it’s a half used gun they don’t make anymore. You going to the range now?
Me: No, I have to order ammo online
Wife: What about all those stacks of ammo in the closet?
Me: Well, the 9MM is for the M&P by the bed, the 380ACP is for the LCP in my back pocket, the 38Spc is for the S&W in my front pocket and the 22LR is for the Ruger for hunting when TSHTF
Wife: (and there’s the eye roll)

15 Dec : Mailed package for RM1FIELD
16 Dec – 6 Jan: click email refresh 1,347 times
6 Jan: Email saying they have my order
13 Jan: Noticed online that they now have RM1SPECIALFIELD, emailed back asking if I could change my order to the Special Field Grade. They shipped it that day
16 Jan: Received
SA ser# 2188112 puts manufacture Nov 1943. While I have field stripped it, I haven’t gone through and dated the rest of the parts.

Love this site, it has already helped me avoid 2 catastrophes of stupidity.

While reassembling, I could not get the trigger guard closed, and I’m a pretty smart, mechanically inclined guy and this was kicking my butt. I was 30 secs away from hitting it with a sanding block when I decided to check the forums. After a few mins of searching I found multiple posts and how to use a small mallet to pop it home. After a quick trip to Home Depot it was back together.

Second one was the rear site. The windage knob would just not turn at all. Instead of taking a pair of vice grips to the knobs, searched the blog again and I was able to piece together enough information to realize the elevation knobs washer spring was seized to the under cup of the knob. A little WD-40 and some care and 10 mins later it was working as it should.
It really is a beautiful rifle and after posting will try and upload pics.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:09 PM

Welcome to the forum. My wife and I have a deal , she doesn't say anything about the guns and ammo and I don't say anything about the cloths and shoes. Good luck with your M1. Eddie
Old 01-31-2017, 08:16 PM

Welcome! I think our wife's may be related
Old 02-01-2017, 01:57 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome and congrats on a nice looking rifle...some good-looking FG Specials coming out lately.
Glad the forum could provide some assistance.

Agree with Eddie about the gun/cloths deal, but also remember....the "hold at location" feature for FedEx can be your Wingman!
When necessary, I hold mine at the local FedEx/Kinkos, 2 miles away and pick it up at my convenience...avoid the drama!

CMP Customer / GCA Member / VFW & NRA Life Member

Feedback Thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137544
Old 02-01-2017, 07:51 AM

Big_Red is spot on about FedEx.

Fortunately for me, I made a deal with the wife unit years ago, new rifle/ammo equals new sewing machine, spinning wheel, accessories, etc....so far so good!

Welcome aboard from Florida.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:32 AM

Sign up for a match in Talladega, and visit her aunt, too. Win-win. Mar 25 Appleseed.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:31 PM

One tried-and-true trick is to 'go to the range' with empty cases and return from the local shop w/ new rifles inside. Doesn't work with the CMP deliveries tho ...
Old 02-01-2017, 07:43 PM

In all honesty, while the conversation is pretty much word for word, she does it all in jest to give me a hard time. She did have one steadfast rule, while the kids (4) were young and in school, no guns. So now that they are grown and almost gone (they keep rotating in and out to ‘get their sh** together’?!?)

The Ruger 10/22 with a small scope is actually her Christmas 2015 present because in her words “I want a rifle with a scope, so when everything goes to sh**, I can sit on the roof and pick off zombies”. She hits center mass @25 yards offhand consistently.

Because of too many hours at work, won’t get a chance to hit the local outdoor range (100yrd) until next week even though I have Ammo and all new cleaning gear for 30-06 (new rifle HAS to have new cleaning gear, right?)
I just could not bring myself to take it to the local Shootstraight indoor 25yrd range. It felt sacrilegious to break her in next to all the millennials and their AR-15’s

Thanks for the welcome aboard
Old 02-01-2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1833gy View Post
In all honesty, while the conversation is pretty much word for word, she does it all in jest to give me a hard time. She did have one steadfast rule, while the kids (4) were young and in school, no guns. So now that they are grown and almost gone (they keep rotating in and out to ‘get their sh** together’?!?)

The Ruger 10/22 with a small scope is actually her Christmas 2015 present because in her words “I want a rifle with a scope, so when everything goes to sh**, I can sit on the roof and pick off zombies”. She hits center mass @25 yards offhand consistently.

Because of too many hours at work, won’t get a chance to hit the local outdoor range (100yrd) until next week even though I have Ammo and all new cleaning gear for 30-06 (new rifle HAS to have new cleaning gear, right?)
I just could not bring myself to take it to the local Shootstraight indoor 25yrd range. It felt sacrilegious to break her in next to all the millennials and their AR-15’s

Thanks for the welcome aboard
I feel ya on the kid's part. Me and My lovely wife are expecting our 2nd child this year. so I made my promise to not buy any more firearms this year in preparation for the new kiddo. I luckily have a wife that works at the local gun range so it was no problem getting time in, My wife wont shoot with me while she is expecting. So I have recruited our 6 year old to be my spotter I got him a little savage rascal, I set up some clays at about 25 yards and he pops them down with ease. The one thing I will say, even the younger crowd will stop and admire the M1. These old guns have soul, and speak with authority!