Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2019, 04:16 PM

Default CMP 1917s source?

The current supply of model 1917 rifles at the South store and Talladega look very good. Is there any info available about where they came from or where they may have seen service?
Old 10-09-2019, 04:43 PM

They come from “the Army”!! Not trying to be flippant, but for many years that was always the answer to where did they come from? I don’t have any inside information, but veterans ceremonial organizations would be a good guess!!
Old 10-09-2019, 05:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
Kaliman,

Please permit me to be clear. I did not state that rifles in military service were never checked for headspace. I stated that rifles issued to VFW and American Legion posts were not inspected or checked for headspace upon issuance. And that is the current source for rifles at the CMP.

I'm not sure that I understand your question about M1917 rifles coming through the CMP. I can only state that I recently inspected about 100 M1917 rifles at the CMP and all of them passed headspace. I just posted a note on the M1917 Enfield Headspace thread regarding M1917 headspace. You might find it informative and understand how an improperly trained inspector could very easily and incorrectly fail headspace on an M1917 rifle.

Thanks!

J.B.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showpost.ph...8&postcount=34

Last edited by Shomway; 10-09-2019 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:10 AM

I actually have the documents on the M1917's that were sent to the VFW and American legions post WWII.

They started right after WWII inspecting M1917's for NRA sales. The ones that were serviceable and passed headspace were sent first to the NRA sales and sold out pretty quick.

The ones that passed headspace but were unserviceable for some reason, pitted bore, ,rusty, etc were sent to the VFW's or American Legions to fire blank ammunition.

The ones that would not pass headspace and were left were sent to NRA sales for $5 a piece and were sold as not safe to fire because of excessive headspace.

It's interesting to note some of the ones that were inspected and shipped to the VFW's and American Legions were from the Navy stocks from WWII. I remember the Navy having somewhere around 17,000 and these were turned it around 1945.

So besides the Army, some did spent a tour in the Navy.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:39 AM

There was one m1903 at the south store last week with a stock that was stamped “VFW” on the left hand side.