Go Back   CMP Forums > Marketplace > NM Collector CMP Edition Software
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2019, 09:16 PM

Default Moved from Windows to linux

SOLVEDI've been using NMCollector for quite a while on my Windows sytem without any problems. I recently switched to a Linux system and dutifully downloaded the Linux variation. I've run the download in terminal mode and everything seems correct. There is new folder called NMCollectorJE created on my desktop. MY only question is: How do I get NMCollectorJE to load? Thanks for any advice. Obviously, I'm new to Linux.

Last edited by snuffy1a; 11-18-2019 at 05:47 AM.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:34 AM

What is this Linux? I would like to find a option to Windows. I hate their auto updates. They asre always updating without my permission. Then after an hour wasted on updates. It goes through another stupid process. Says Windows could not update and changes are being undone for another half Hour.IDIOTS/

So pretty much a couple Hours of wasted time for me..Bistards.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:43 AM

Linux is another distribution for replacing Windows completely. With the proper linux distribution, you can do just about anything Windows was capable of. It just depends on what you were using windows for. I got rid of woindows just for the reasons you mentioned. Windows is only going to get worse. Windows 10 is the only version to be upgraded and its going to be worse next year. Suggest you check out Linux first before removing windows. The software is free..
Old 11-17-2019, 11:50 AM

Email and Browsing Forums is about my whole extent of Computer use.

I will look into it..Thanks and obviously I will be no help with your question however,LOL
Old 11-17-2019, 12:01 PM

Just one more thought...Most linux distributions allow you use the software without overwriting your disk. If you do decide to use it. The software will load itself giving you the options of loading the linux software along side the window software giving you a dual boot system which is very easy to use.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:19 PM

Smile Moving NM Collector to Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy1a View Post
I've been using NMCollector for quite a while on my Windows sytem without any problems. I recently switched to a Linux system and dutifully downloaded the Linux variation. I've run the download in terminal mode and everything seems correct. There is new folder called NMCollectorJE created on my desktop. MY only question is: How do I get NMCollectorJE to load? Thanks for any advice. Obviously, I'm new to Linux.
For Linux you have to start NM Collector using a command line tool. How you get to that tool varies by distribution. However, once you figure out how to get to a command line, cd to your NM Collector directory (verify that you see NMCollectorJE_linux.jar in the directory) and issue this command:

Java –jar NMCollectorJE_linux.jar

Please see this page for more an example of what it should look like: https://www.nmcollectorsoftware.com/...ware%20New.htm

Thank you.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:43 PM

The problem is the command line works when in terminal mode, but when I exit the terminal, the NMCollector program also closes. I followed the linux installation exactly as listed.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
The problem is the command line works when in terminal mode, but when I exit the terminal, the NMCollector program also closes. I followed the linux installation exactly as listed.
Are you closing the terminal in order to use NM Collector? You should not have to close the terminal to use it.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:06 PM

What happens is that the Evaluation mode opens and I can make changes, but as soon as I close the terminal, the program also closes. I noticed that whatever changes I make in the program, the change is also noted while I am in terminal mode.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:01 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
What happens is that the Evaluation mode opens and I can make changes, but as soon as I close the terminal, the program also closes. I noticed that whatever changes I make in the program, the change is also noted while I am in terminal mode.
That is correct. You should leave the terminal window open while you use NM Collector on Linux. After you are done using NM Collector be sure to close NM Collector NOT the Linux Terminal. You can close your terminal window if you wish after you close NM Collector. The order is very important to ensure that your changes are saved. If you do not like seeing the logs in the terminal while using NM Collector you should be able to minimize it I would think. I can with Ubuntu anyway.

BTW, If you want to transfer your data from when you were using it with Windows just copy the database folder from the Windows system to the Linux system. That will also transfer the activation if you activated the software when you were using it in Windows.

Thank you.