Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2010, 06:32 PM

Default clip question, ammo processing question, brasso

I know it takes awhile to get rifles from the CMP but how long does it take to get the ammo? Looking at buying a can.

I have acquired an en bloc clip and it has very small dots of rust on it and one spot in the corner that is very rusty? How do I clean it up? My Dad recommended rubbing compound...

Brass: Does it 'embrittle' brass? I acquired LC and RA ammo with that clip and it was extremely dirty so I cleaned it up with brasso. Should I be concerned?

TIA
Old 04-20-2010, 07:02 PM

All orders are placed into the system according to when they arrive. All orders ahead of yours will be processed first; right now, the load is kinda heavy. I just received an ammo order placed on 3-11-10.

You can use 0000 steel wool to remove the rust on a clip, if it is excessive a Dremel tool with a small wire wheel will help. I would advise you to acquire a few more or order a can of ammunition loaded in clips.

If you are not going to reload the cases and you have wiped them free of Brasso it’s probably not a concern. Prolonged or repeated exposure to Brasso during the reloading process may not be good for the brass.

Last edited by Arcane; 04-20-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:02 PM

I reload for pistol, .45 acp and 9mm, and my .223 Colt AR. I have seen numerous responses on web sites stating that Brasso embrittles the brass. My arguement is that I get range-picked brass for free and, if it lasts X% fewer reload than non-Brasso treated bras, I am good to go. I can't argue with the chemistry guys (I got a C- in college chemistry) but I assume that they know what they are talking about.

I will add that I only add about a capful to the cleaning media for 300-400 pieces of brass.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:41 PM

So I went over those rounds with Brasso pretty vigorously, should I wipe them down with a wet cloth?
Old 04-21-2010, 06:11 PM

Brasso contains ammonia (smell it!). Ammonia dissolves copper out of brass. Whether there would be damage from this action is arguable. I have never seen a report of case failure from using Brasso.

I use white vinegar to dissolve corrosion from cartridge cases - even live ones. Five minutes usually does the job. Only disadvantage I've seen so far is that vinegar turns corrosion pink. Comes off when the fired cases are tumbled.

The girlfriend may be impressed, though.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:18 PM

I posted a query on one of the other forums to find out if anyone ever had a documented case failure from using Brasso. I add about a tablespoon to my tumbing media which dilutes the bad stuff and allows it to just polish the cases, so I've never had a problem. The only incident that came up (which was third or fourth hand and not first hand) indicated that the guy had cleaned up cases using full strength Brasso and had one case fail at some point. There was no documentation as to how many times the case had been loaded or to what capacity.

Brasso if used in small amounts in tumbling media is not a problem. I've been reloading since the late 1960s and have never experienced a case failure because of it.

As Mousegun mentioned, white vinegar is good to clean really bad cases. You can mix one cup white vinegar, one cup water, a tsp of salt and a small amount of dish detergent in a plastic jar. Drop the cases in and shake off and on for about 5 minutes. Drain the liquid into another jar to save it and wash the cases off in warm water, then either air dry or put in a low heat oven for a few minutes. Depending on the mfg, you will get some that turn pink. I would not use straight white vinegar since it's kind of overkill and you'll definitely get pink cases.

Last edited by CDRT; 04-21-2010 at 08:22 PM.