Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2014, 04:23 PM

Wow! Greg that is some great detail. I will have to try your instructions.
Thank you!
Old 11-30-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlkcfi View Post
Hello,
I shot my first local Garand match this weekend. After 20+ years shooting informally with friends, from the bench, standing, sitting & prone I finally got in the program. To put it simply, I had a blast! But I have an issue because I want to be competitive.
My problem is I have an MRT sling which does not seem to fit me anymore. I had rotator cuff surgery a year ago. The surgeon had to repair a massive tear and in the process he was not able to reattach the muscles in their original location. Before the operation, I could get my elbow under the rifle and get a pretty good prone position. Now, I have discovered that I lost about 15-20 degrees of rotation of my left arm. When I sling up, my elbow will not rotate under the rifle. It ends up about 4-6 inches to the left which results in the muzzle pointing into the dirt. I shot with a loose sling so that at least I had my elbow under the rifle.
My question is simple. Will a longer sling such as a 54-56" from Turner's help me correct this situation?
I can't believe that I am the first with this problem. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Don't mention if it's just limited range of motion or pain keeping you from alignment. If it's pain, my experiment with padding, (quilting batting from wallyworld) worked really well. 5-6 layers between liner and outer jacket served to 'insulate' upper arm from pressure. Still had to break position once or twice near end (prone) but nowhere near the pain as before, and I wasn't aching the whole time while in pits.
Old 12-05-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altafuego View Post
it feels like an ice pick is stuck in your shoulder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VALKRIDER View Post
I wish I didn't completely understand that .
Me too. I have surgery coming up in Feb of next year for my torn cuff.

"In life applied knowledge is wisdom, applied wisdom is enlightenment". Pick and choose your fights carefully.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdKryton View Post
Follow your Dr's post op instructions like your life depends on it. No more or less, do exactly what he says and when.It's a long road(about 4 mo.)but if you follow instructions you should be fine.You're going to need a recliner to sleep in for awhile as you won't be able to lie flat in bed.Took me about 4 wks. to get back in my normal bed.Those flexible blue gel cold packs will be your friend (a bag of frozen peas works well also). Good luck.

Last edited by VALKRIDER; 12-05-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-05-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Follow your Dr's post op instructions like your life depends on it. No more or less, do exactly what he says and when.
I made the mistake not doing what I was told when I had my right knee replaced. I felt real good and went overboard on the PT. I ended up having to shut down for over a month then started all over with the PT.
It took 11 months to get back to where I could work. It should not have taken half that long. Fortunately I'm a quick learner. I will not make the same mistake twice.

"In life applied knowledge is wisdom, applied wisdom is enlightenment". Pick and choose your fights carefully.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdKryton View Post
Unfortunately,I beat you to the table.Had my left rot/cuff repaired today. Pre-op nerve block and post-op percoset do wonders . Unlike before,all work is done through the arthroscope now so no giant scar this time. I kinda think my left shoulder had "scar envy" of my right and was trying to catch up . Best of luck in your upcoming surgery. Looks like a late start to the competition season for me this year.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately,I beat you to the table.Had my left rot/cuff repaired today. Pre-op nerve block and post-op percoset do wonders . Unlike before,all work is done through the arthroscope now so no giant scar this time. I kinda think my left shoulder had "scar envy" of my right and was trying to catch up . Best of luck in your upcoming surgery. Looks like a late start to the competition season for me this year.
Sounds like things went well for you this time. That's great! As far as competing, I don't so that won't be an issue for me but I am worried about trout season. It may be hard to use a fly rod this year.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:04 PM

All the advice that I have received has been most helpful. I just received my new longer match sling from Turner slings. I set it long, moved into the prone and low and behold...
NPA. I was able to move around to adjust my point of aim. The muzzle is no longer in the dirt which was the problem with the standard length sling.
It is time to dryfire and then practice before my next match in March.