Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2014, 11:55 AM

Default JCG Match, Match Barrels or USGI???

I've been shooting at Perry in the Garand Match for awhile now. One of my biggest beefs in shooting in the match is the "as issued" qualifier. Going up against guys with match barrels in "as issued" competitions should be scored different in my opinion. I'm shooting a nice service grade HRA with all HRA parts and last year I shot a bronze medal. I was happier than a kid on Christamas. I understand you are really only competing against yourself in the match, but I feel that match barrels should have a little different scoring parameters to medal. I've always wanted to ask this question but never wanted to ruffle feathers. I think the CMP does a great job with the matches but last year was the first year I heard some others in the pit talking about the same question above. Is it fair to younger shooters with true USGI guns to expect to score the same as others with USGi receivers and Match Barrels "at USGI specs"

Anybody else feel this way? Maybe someone peed in my Cheerios this morning!
Old 12-30-2014, 11:59 AM

A Krieger barrel alone is not going to get you from Bronze to Gold. There are too many other variables with the rifle itself, not counting the shooter which is where the real differences lie.

Compare your standing scores to the guys at the top of the results sheet - that's the gap you want to close.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:03 PM

Definitely no argument there, my off-hand scores are always my weakest year and year out. By shots 6-7, I'm squeezing 7-8s, the exhaustion sets in.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:46 PM

Barrels dont really matter on an as issued garand. For jcg matches you can hand load and tune the gun and worry about every little detail and someone with a racker and a fist full of hxp is still going to beat you. I watched a kid take gold this year with a field grade garand his dad bought him at the north store the day before the garand match. His ammo he had was loaded long for his 03 so he seated the bullets deeper with a hammer. Its the indian not the arrow at these matches.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:46 PM

A true "Match" barrel would be a heavy, and relegate the shooter to the Unlimited Class.

So I built my M1 shooter from a rack grade barreled receiver I bought at the South Store 5+ years ago. The barrel was toast. I decided to replace it.

I checked Springfield, they no longer make replacement barrels (closed). So thinking I could still have a "as-issued" rifle (re-arsenaled), I checked HRA, same deal, no barrel. IHC is out of business and Winchester the same long ago.

So, a Criterion barrel, cut to the same USGI profile, should not be allowed? How about a Douglass? Kreiger? Where do I stop? Oh, what about those National Match barrels? Star gauged Springfield barrels?

Or should I have been forced to buy a CMP correct grade (at 2x the cost) to get a better muzzle/crown. Only the wealthy guys could afford those. But then of course, those "other" guys that have long time connections with the CMP get all the "0" gauged muzzle rifles, so the rest of us are relegated to the M1 junk and the resultant bottom 25% scoring in the Nationals and CMP Games, right? BTW, the South Store holds all the "0" muzzle gauged barrels in a back room and only the selected few get to purchase those....

I'm being a bit of a smart ****** and I don't mean to be "mean" to you, but how would you otherwise propose a solution? Although they are capable barrels for 200 yard shooting, I don't consider a Criterion in an M1, or even a Carbine, Springfield '03 or Krag an "advantage".

I'd suggest you redirect your energy to practice. A USGI barrel, in good condition, is hardly a detriment at 200 yards.

And if you think it is, instead of losing sleep, take your M1 to the CMP trailer, give 'em less then two hundred bucks and in in a day or less they'll put a criterion on it for you, no charge. Plus they'll give you change back, and no tax at the Games events. Then you can secretly laugh at those "disadvantaged", true as-issued competitors in the bottom 25%.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:09 PM

My son and I both shoot Correct Grade M1's we bought several years ago from the CMP. Did a little select parts swapping to tighten things up and took all the creep out of the triggers. Everything is USGI. Mine has never failed to finish in the metal. Got Gold in 2013; Silver in 2014. It all comes down to the person behind the trigger. GI barrels will get you gold. My first Gold at CP in 2009 was with an older DCM M1; no mods; had a '46 barrel. It did shoot very good, but was all USGI.
The comment about needing a good offhand score is right on; you can't do it just on the prone sequences. Winter is a great time for dry firing practice; best thing to improve your offhand.
Mike.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:49 PM

I posted in the other thread regarding accuracy but I have 4 garands. My Arrington accuracy jcg legal version with a criterion barrel isn't any more or less accurate than my field grade with an sa 52 barrel. If the gun can hold the 10 ring then the rest is up to you.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:08 PM

Barrels don't win or lose matches. I am shooting a grade B barreled receiver with bolt assembled the rest of the way with drill rifle parts, new CMP wood (all from North Store) and the balance NOS parts. I can shoot 280+ with it including a 278 at CP last year good for 94th overall. My goal is 290 this year and there is no reason I cannot do it with this rifle. It will easily clean a SR @ 200 and I have done it multiple times. In addition I clean the barrel well at the beginning of the year and that is about it.

It is the Indian not the arrow nor the bow.

One must be able to shoot on their feet to be competitive.
Distinguished Rifleman #2297

Last edited by Rootsy; 12-30-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:18 PM

Mine is as issued Springfield receiver and barrel, that is how I like to shoot the "as issued" matches.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:38 AM

A rifle that has a barrel "at USGI specs" it isn't a match barrel, it may be new but it isn't a match barrel.
It goes the the careful assembly of parts rule.
If you think your barrel is worn or damaged, change it out as any armorer would.
If you like your rifle all correct even though some parts may be at the end of their useful life, that is your choice.