Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2014, 10:54 AM
GSM Master Instructor

The loose barrel in the picture above is a heavy contour NM barrel. That barrel is not allowed in JCG matches. If a shooter is using one of those barrels and concealing it, he is cheating and I agree it is wrong.

The barrel on the receiver in the picture is a standard contour barrel. Any barrel that conforms to the standard contour dimensions and is chambered in .30-06 is legal. It doesn't matter if it is a single point cut Krieger or a button rifled Criterion. It is NOT considered a match barrel. You can call it a match grade barrel if you wish, but per the CMP rules it is a standard USGI contour barrel.

All else being equal, in this game the performance difference between a Krieger or a Criterion (or even a new in the wrap USGI barrel) will be insignificant. Single point cut barrels generally last a little longer, and are (in my experience) easier to clean.

The rules allow for parts to be changed with new parts that meet the USGI specifications because that is the ONLY way we will see the Games matches keep running. At 35, I have a lot of years left to compete. I'm in this for the long haul. I hope that in 35 years, my JGC match rifle will be on its 4th or 5th barrel. I doubt new-in-the-wrap USGI barrels will be available for a reasonable price at that time. Same goes for stocks and other wear items. The supply of USGI replacement parts is finite.

I know that the only thing keeping me out of the winner's circle is my offhand score. It sure isn't my USGI barrel.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:52 PM

I won the match a couple years ago with a 4.7 HRA with its orig. HRA barrel. It was shooting that day, since the HRA has decided to not to shoot so well again. I think it is the stock that is holding the rifle back right now, the stock it was in that day since developed looseness that allows for for and aft movement of the receiver, like the 20 other stocks i have.

I really think you have to have some pixie dust to spindle on these as issued Garands to get them to shoot. I know others have way better luck than me with them.

I am not convinced the barrel is the rifles Achilles heel.

Ryan V
Old 12-31-2014, 03:09 PM

Its not the barrel thats the issue on a garand. Its the garand
Old 12-31-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloreman View Post
Its not the barrel thats the issue on a garand. Its the garand
Now he's got me all paranoid. I just field stripped and assembled my shooter for its annual bath.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:38 PM

when all of the gun is attached to the barrel and half of it moves upon firing it is really hard to tell the difference between cut or button rifled. And when properly accurized its still hard.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:48 PM

I never take my Garands apart any more than is absolutely necessary.
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
Old 12-31-2014, 07:58 PM

Ryan,

The gun I'm currently shooting is a HRA 4.75 with HRA barrel with pumpkin stock. My ultimate goal is to gold medal since my grandfather did that before he passed away with just his garand, sling, and glove. This is the same way I shoot, no jacket, which is my choice. The best I've done yet is a bronze medal, this past July.

Do you have any suggestions or tips on how to consistently medal?
What food are you feeding your rifles?
I'd just enjoy talking to veterans about what works getting better.

Anything helpful info would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-31-2014, 10:39 PM

Like pointed out it is more the shooter than the rifle; esp at a short range ( 100 or 200 yd ) match like the CMP games matches.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:59 PM

The coat compliments the positions. I probably rely on the coat more for prone than off hand, which is opposite maybe most. You need a coat.

Get a NM ar-15 and learn to shoot HM scores across the course. Then, pick up the Garand one or three times a year and go for it, have fun.. Works for me, well, some days.

Happy New Years.

Ryan V