Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2015, 10:10 AM

I suspect that further testing will reveal the sling was not the problem. Good Shooting.....
Old 04-04-2015, 08:39 AM

I had another go-around with the 20" rifle yesterday. Moving my hand way forward seems to have done the trick. I made a loop with the clasp part of the web sling just big enough to fit my hand in, that way I couldn't slide it backwards. Then left everything else with the sling as normal. It was pretty damn uncomfortable and made me wish I had a collapsable stock. First shot was a 9 at 12, came two clicks down and proceeded to shoot 10's and x's in a round group.

All that being said it was so uncomfortable that I think the M4 is the way to go. No sense in being uncomfortable and shooting 10's when you can be comforatble and shoot 10's.
CMP HP Master
DR#2474 (2019) 1/2 with irons, 1/2 with optics
Old 04-04-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot View Post
As a slight counterpoint to Ceresco who determined that sling tension didn't affect his POI. I shot in the same match with basically the same rifle he used. However, the day before the match I sighted in my M4 off a bench rest without a sling. When I shot my 5 sighters using a sling the day of the match, they were 12 inches low. All 10 of my slow prone shots were low as well (because of mirage, it was impossible to see holes in the target). I finally came up 6 MOA for the rapid string and shot a 98. Without adjusting the rear sight, I then shot my offhand string with all shots being roughly 12 inches high.
Bottom line is the sling significantly affected the POI on my rifle. Go figure.
There is also a big difference between shooting from a bench and shooting from position. Anytime you change something your zeros may be different.
Old 04-04-2015, 11:17 AM

"There is also a big difference between shooting from a bench and shooting from position. Anytime you change something your zeros may be different."

In my comment I noted that all shots fired without the sling, whether from the bench or offhand position, were all approximately 6 MOA higher than those shot with a sling. I make an effort when shooting from the bench to make sure my head position, etc. is as close to my offhand position as I can make it. Haven't been back to the range with the M4 since the match, but to placate Ceresco, I'll post pictures of the results when I do.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:57 AM

I have really good pics of my sling tension test on my tablet, but I don't know how to post them. Nice tight groups and almost no effect from the sling. Good Shooting..... Addendum: Just came in from finishing up my left over ammo. Tested with loose sling and normal tension; slight tendency to go low and left with tension--about 1" @ 100yds but groups not that good with cheap bullets so one bad shot could unduly influence... Switched to match ammo--better groups and roughly same results. Put 10 in the mag and used sling as usual--all 10 in the SR ten ring. Then an offhand series-lots of 9s and 10s. Only shot that went high was called high. Done for now until I load more .223. It sure seems warm with sun and 62 degrees after the last few months. Good Shooting.....

Last edited by ceresco; 04-05-2015 at 01:22 PM.