Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALKRIDER View Post
I didn't build the rifle,CMP custom shop did.I used a very nice service grade as a donor,aquired the few extra parts needed and sent it all to them for the national match upgrades/assembly.IIRC, the armorer who built my rifle was CHRIS and he did an excellent job.
Ahh awesome! Thanks for the tip!
Old 03-13-2015, 07:23 PM
Banned

water monkey, I suggest forgetting about the "unlimited garand" weight limit.

For every club thar runs Garand matches to CMP Games rules, there are ten that run NRA Highpower Rifle matches.

As an example my club runs a grand total of TWO Garand/Springfield/Vintage matches a year and over a dozen NRA Highpower Rifle matches in the same time span.

Building your M1 the way you originally stated will make it optimized for both NRA Highpower and the prestigious CMP Excellence In Competition matches as a Service Rifle

Don't compromise, you'll end up regretting it.

If you want another Garand for JCG matches, make that a separate rifle and keep it within the CMP Games rules.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha sierra View Post
water monkey, I suggest forgetting about the "unlimited garand" weight limit.

For every club thar runs Garand matches to CMP Games rules, there are ten that run NRA Highpower Rifle matches.

As an example my club runs a grand total of TWO Garand/Springfield/Vintage matches a year and over a dozen NRA Highpower Rifle matches in the same time span.

Building your M1 the way you originally stated will make it optimized for both NRA Highpower and the prestigious CMP Excellence In Competition matches as a Service Rifle

Don't compromise, you'll end up regretting it.

If you want another Garand for JCG matches, make that a separate rifle and keep it within the CMP Games rules.
This.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:11 AM

OK thanks guys.

What's the benefit from a laminated stock vs non-laminated?
Old 03-14-2015, 09:56 AM

Weight, heavy is good. They are also much more resistant to swelling/shrinking etc. from atmospheric conditions. I really like the laminate I got from Dupage.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by water monkey View Post
OK thanks guys.

What's the benefit from a laminated stock vs non-laminated?
A laminated stock is MUCH more stable than a stock made of solid wood. Laminated stocks are made of relativley thin layers of hardwood impregnated with epoxy resin under pressure then cured in an autoclave.

The epoxy impregnation does two things:
1) It tends to seal the wood pores (not 100% but close) which prevents water from being absorbed into the wood.
2) Most importantly, the many layers of wood glued together resist deformation in ways that solid wood cannot. All materials change dimensions in reaction to temperature changes. Wood also does so in reaction to moisture/humidity changes. Because of the adhesion between layers in a laminate, laminated stocks change dimensions much much less than solid wood stocks.

IMO laminated stocks are virtually as stable as fiberglass stocks with the added benefits that they are heavier and much easier to modify their shape (compared to fiberglass).
Old 03-14-2015, 09:58 AM

Alright gentlemen thanks for pushing me towards laminate!
Old 03-14-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha sierra View Post
A laminated stock is MUCH more stable than a stock made of solid wood. Laminated stocks are made of relativley thin layers of hardwood impregnated with epoxy resin under pressure then cured in an autoclave.

The epoxy impregnation does two things:
1) It tends to seal the wood pores (not 100% but close) which prevents water from being absorbed into the wood.
2) Most importantly, the many layers of wood glued together resist deformation in ways that solid wood cannot. All materials change dimensions in reaction to temperature changes. Wood also does so in reaction to moisture/humidity changes. Because of the adhesion between layers in a laminate, laminated stocks change dimensions much much less than solid wood stocks.

IMO laminated stocks are virtually as stable as fiberglass stocks with the added benefits that they are heavier and much easier to modify their shape (compared to fiberglass).
New to me, my experience has been Autoclaves were used for steam & pressure sterilization, typically pharmaceutical and medical equipment. Never heard of this.
Old 03-14-2015, 06:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3StrikesNC View Post
New to me, my experience has been Autoclaves were used for steam & pressure sterilization, typically pharmaceutical and medical equipment. Never heard of this.
Autoclave is just a pressurized oven.

Medical autoclaves and industrial autoclaves are the same in concept but different in execution.

The highest density laminates are placed in vaccum bags, then held in a vaccum while baked in a pressurized oven called that is also called an autoclave. There is no steam used in this process.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:57 PM

I would go with the .308 in a full boogie laminate NM Garand. There's no reason not to.
Distinguished Rifleman #2198
NRA HP XTC High Master (service rifle)
NRA Patron Life member
PCGC Junior Team coach
CMP GSM Master Inst.