Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2016, 04:44 PM

The head split we had was bad,the mag was blown out of the M1a1 and the white smoke was heavy.My son was only 15 at the time and he was a little ticked off,it was his new rifle.The rifle was fine and I was able to fix the mag.We still have about 15 rounds ,in the last can.Some day I will pull the bullets and weigh the powder.We had 3 cans at first because the wife picked up 308 special a few years back.We have never used any of the rounds left in the last can after the head split.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

Not much you can do with the stuff. Break them down and save the bullets, unless they are 147s. You might try one load with the cases, then ditch them. Weigh a few powder charges and report in. I bet they are way high.

Blew a couple of mag bottoms out? I think I would have stopped at one.......

Check the disclaimer on Atomic's site. "Will accelerate wear on your rifle." A blown mag bottom is probably within their definition of accelerated wear.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 10-21-2016, 07:55 AM

RickRandR; Just had the same problem! Bought two plastic ammo cans when they first listed by CMP. On the 12th round thru my sons new Mossberg MVP Patrol rifle the case ruptured and blew off the extractor. I just marked it up to a bad case. Yesterday on the 3rd out of my Rem 700 the case rupture. Based on 2 ruptured cases in 15 rounds I decided to see if CMP forums had reported any Atomic ammo problems. Did CMP have any response?
Old 10-21-2016, 11:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to rcolarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24z1 View Post
RickRandR; Just had the same problem! Bought two plastic ammo cans when they first listed by CMP. On the 12th round thru my sons new Mossberg MVP Patrol rifle the case ruptured and blew off the extractor. I just marked it up to a bad case. Yesterday on the 3rd out of my Rem 700 the case rupture. Based on 2 ruptured cases in 15 rounds I decided to see if CMP forums had reported any Atomic ammo problems. Did CMP have any response?
Ominous silence.

It is the manufacturer's responsibility to fix defects, not the retailer's. You might try contacting Atomic. Good luck.

Coupled with the disclaimer on Atomic's site about "accelerated wear," and the multiple reports of blowups, I would just ditch the stuff. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses.
ACEP-certified coach
Old 10-23-2016, 07:43 PM

If you had a large group to sample from, could you weigh each case loaded and see if there a large variation in weight.. Pull the bullets from the one that has the largest and the smallest and weigh the powder
Old 10-24-2016, 07:06 AM

I think I bought 1200 rounds of Atomic and fired most of it through an AR10.

No issues at all. I must be lucky.

The brass is on its third loading.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclaine View Post
I think I bought 1200 rounds of Atomic and fired most of it through an AR10.

No issues at all. I must be lucky.

The brass is on its third loading.
Finally some positive feedback!
Have shot a lot and still sitting on about 800 rounds.
Not a problem(yet) in my 7.62 Navy, M1A, or my Remington 700P.
Not the most accurate but not too bad.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:49 AM

Admittedly this is a small sampling but last year I pulled the Nosler Custom Competition 168 gr BTHP bullets of 19 rounds in a can purchased from CMP in 2012 and replaced them with Sierra GameKing 165's so I would have a few rounds to hunt with. For some reason I weighed the powder charges as I went along, and recorded a low charge of 41.2 grains; highest of 41.7; nine of 19 were 41.4 grains. Not stated on the label but IIRC Atomic used Varget powder. I have previously fired at least one 200 round can in my M1A and CMP Special with no ill results. Will probably check the charge in any I use going forward based on this and earlier thread.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
Finally some positive feedback!
Have shot a lot and still sitting on about 800 rounds.
Not a problem(yet) in my 7.62 Navy, M1A, or my Remington 700P.
Not the most accurate but not too bad.
I agree on your assessment of the accuracy. I found things got a little better when I sorted my case head stamp.

The Atomic ammo was a good deal when ammo was in scarce supply. Kept me shooting and I have some good brass to load.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:44 PM

Default Blew one up today.

I had grabbed a handful of the 308 win match atomic ammo rounds and took to the range. Springfield m1a loaded. On the seventh round the bottom of the magazine blew off, the spring and follower blew half way out of the magazine, I received some powder fragments to the cheek, and after finding the case I saw that the case had split at the extractor groove. I will try and post some photos. No promises. 1st link is case, 2nd link is magazine.

https://imgur.com/gallery/AXjs3

Any body know how I can display the photo please advise me how it's done.

https://imgur.com/gallery/jWTTL

Last edited by docsparks; 10-25-2016 at 03:24 PM.