Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2018, 01:59 PM

When I was competing, my offhand groups were usually a little higher than sitting and prone. I believe the rifle was moving slightly in recoil before the bullet left the barrel. Using a sling in a more stable position should result in less movement. The advice given on cheek weld, positioning into the shoulder, repeating the shooting position consistently and follow-through are all very important in marksmanship.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:12 PM

Improper sight alignment is they only thing I can think that would cause a 7 MOA impact shift from position change.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:47 PM

I actually got a several inch difference in point of impact between offhand and prone when I was competing. Using a 6 o'clock hold, the larger "black" on the target made up the difference. It had me effectively aiming lower. "In the field", my sights are set so the point of impact is on top of the front sight.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:21 PM

I'm back home again and I hope to head to the range in the next few days. I'm going to double check everything.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:17 PM

With reduced loads, and a couple different rifles, I have had to come down 2 or 3 minutes when I go from prone to offhand. I write it off to the muzzle climbing more freely in recoil offhand; as opposed to when slung up.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:05 AM

Are you logging this data?
What are your groups like?
On a good day if i can keep my shots in the black off hand "I" am zeroed! Forget the rifle.

Now I have a few sight adjustments between positions.
Few things to look at.
Standing depending on your build your eye can be closer or further away from the rear aperture. This can influence your zero also.
Plus I know i have a tendency to have my head/eye lower in prone which if im not careful wil drive my front sight higher in the sight picture.
i also dont fit the M1 well and cant my rifle standing and sitting and I need 2-3 min right there.

The good thing is you actually notice and looking to correct it. i know shooters who bench zero thier rifle and hardly touch the adjuztable sights and still try to KW it when shooting for score.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:14 AM

I've been to the range a couple of times now and I thought I would update my results. First, I would like to thank all of you who have contributed your suggestions/comments, they have been helpful.

Okay, this is what I have done, based, at least in part, on your help. I've been careful to check my NPA, cheek position, and the basic rules of rifle marksmanship, like breathing and trigger control. I also purchased a new pair of eye glasses in the form of "readers". They are a little stronger than the pair that I have been using for years. I have new progressive lens eye glasses (I've never had progressives before) and I can not make them work for me when shooting rifles, but they work well for pistols.

I did notice that the screw in the elevation control was loose and I decided it would be a good time to disassemble the rear sight, clean and lubricate the internals. I also purchased a Dan Brown 1907 model sling and installed it (I have shot the rifle now, with and without the use of this sling, to determine its effect on poi). I also blackened both front and rear sights (I suspect this may have help a lot).

The good news is that my problem with the change in elevation, between the offhand position and prone, has disappeared. Unfortunately, I made all the above changes at the same time, and as a result, I have no proof as to which of them, cured my problem. The bad news, is that I fear I have wasted your time, by not thinking my problem through more thoroughly to begin with. I should have known to check all those items I mentioned above before posting my question. So with that in mind, I thank you all again for your assistance.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:15 PM

Hi yleefox,

The fellows here are a good bunch! I'm sure they will not be mad at you !
You solved the problem, that is great news!

Many shooters like me, are ALWAYS looking to shoot more consistence groups!
The tips you were given, will surely will help many other shooters!

Enjoy every day,
broom