Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2019, 03:40 PM

Default Getting Started w/ NM A2

Hello! I just purchased a very nice NM A2 from forum member Mike in Wis. This will be my first brand new rifle in probably 25 years so it is pretty exciting. Since I am new to the AR platform and service rifle I have a few kick off questions.

For service rifle competition what size magazines are recommended? In other forums I have read that 20 are usually the go-to, but unsure if it really matters. I live in Maryland which is a state that limits mag capacity shipped or sold in state to 10 rounds, however it is legal for me to purchase 20 round mags in person out of state and then carry them across state lines in my possession. (Donít ask, I donít understand either). If 20 round mags are necessary or highly preferred I can still get them with some inconvenience. Iíd also be interested in recommendations for mag brands since I am ignorant in this area.

While I did compete in three position smallbore at one time, that was quite a few years ago and my positions will need work. Probably a lot of work. Iíd appreciate any recommendations on decent practice ammo with reloadable brass. Iíll be practicing at 100 or 200 yards and the barrel is 1:7 twist. From my own research it seems like Frontier 223 Remington 68 Grain Hornady Hollow Point Boat Tail Match might be worth a try, but Iíd be interested in what others do.

Thank you for the help -Joe
Old 06-21-2019, 05:08 PM

I uses standard USGI 20 round mags,
I have 2 that I use for rapids (loaded 2 and 8) and one with a single fire sled mounted in it,

usually a spare 20 round in the stool or rifle case just in case one breaks

when I used to shoot regularly, Black Hills was a go to for factory loaded ammo, may want to check them out
Old 06-21-2019, 05:33 PM

I prefer the 20’s so they don’t interfere with the ground or jacket like 30’s will.
CMP HP Master
DR#2474 (2019) 1/2 with irons, 1/2 with optics
Old 06-21-2019, 10:47 PM

I recently took a new shooter under my wing, and we used Frontier Cartridge Military Grade Ammunition with 68gr HPBTs for the first 2000 rounds of practice. Its pretty good stuff. Plenty accurate enough to take you to the Master level, and half as expensive as any other match grade 223 available commercially. If you're going to practice primarily at 100 yards, I'd go with the 55gr instead of the 68s and save even more money on initial cost.

20 round magazine size is what you want, but if you can get 10 rounders in that size and shape, there's no reason to go through the headache of getting 20 rounders. You don't want magazines of 30 round size/shape. They'll only hinder your prone position.

Welcome to service rifle shooting. You'll love it. It can and will be very frustrating at first, but after a couple thousand rounds of practice, you'll be shooting great scores. Ask all the questions you have.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:56 PM

20 round dimension. PMAGs are nice, but aluminum GI are a little shorter, letting you get a lower position.

Check to see if the bolt overrides. Close the bolt, insert magazine with 2 dummy rounds, charge the rifle. Several Brownells aluminum mags had feedlips that were too far apart and the rear of the 1st round would dip below the bolt when it was retracted for charging.
Distinguished Rifleman #2223
"Technique isn't something that can be taught. It's something you find on your own." - Bunta Fujiwara
Old 06-22-2019, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the real world experience on the Frontier ammo. I was hoping it would work well since that lake city brass should be nice for reloading after the primer pocket is swaged.

I'll be out in AZ for work next week so I hope to have some free time to try to get some 20 round mags. I doubt magazine capacity is something desert people care about. Otherwise off to PA!

While new to service rifle I shot 3 position small bore in high school and currently shoot bullseye pistol (got a personal best of 868 35x this morning on the .22). I expect service rifle will be a bit different, but a lot will translate. I'm guessing after I learn the ropes I think I'll know what I'm doing...but then move out to 600 yards and be humbled All part of the fun!
Old 06-22-2019, 12:30 PM

HighpowerRifleBrony - I've read a lot of your posts on other forums. Thanks for putting the info out there. Very helpful for us newbies.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:21 PM

I think you'll find shooting service rifle far easier than bullseye pistol. Once you learn the positions and have some kind of personal wind doping approach, it all comes down to sight alignment and trigger control.

You're right though, the 600 yard line can be a humbler. Its amazing how much a slight wind shift can effect your bullet impact. I'm awed by the great prone shooters.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:14 PM

Offhand brutalizes more people than 600 ever has...
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
Old 06-23-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootsy View Post
Offhand brutalizes more people than 600 ever has...

I think Bullseye shooters can manage that. Heck, they get to use BOTH hands!
Distinguished Rifleman #2223
"Technique isn't something that can be taught. It's something you find on your own." - Bunta Fujiwara