Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ0608 View Post
Hear, hear!

I really hope the games matches stay popular for another fifty years and more. They're fun to shoot, they give those old rifles a job to do, they get us out to the ranges more often, and expand the reach of the CMP.

I'm mostly a service rifle shooter as well, but love shooting the wood guns a few times a year. One of my favorite aspects of getting into into games matches is how it really changes your perspective at looking at the guns. Who cares how original or collectible it is? Does it have a tight stock, a good bore, good sights, etc? Is this thing a shooter? I have a small rack of really good shooters I may not have been interested in ten years ago.

Thanks CMP for keeping these matches expanding and thanks everyone here for continuing to support them. Hope to see some of you at Ben Avery for the Western Cup and Games in a few months.
wood guns...I own only 2 garands, one 1917, and one 03a3. When someone starts talking about the individual parts, heat treatments, year it was made, my eyes kinda glass over. While I do appreciate the engineering that goes into these guns I don't care about the collectible aspect, dollar value, etc. I know in some guys eyes that makes me a Heathen.

I shot the Western Games only once. Loved that range. Problem is they built it too far from GA.....!

Keith

Keith Schachle

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2287
Presidents Hundred (Top 20 Shootoff)
NRA XTC Service Rifle- High Master
NRA Midrange - High Master
CMP XTC Service Rifle - Master
CMP Master Instructor
Almost Perfect Attendance in the 3rd grade
Old 08-30-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote from Kilo-Sierra, “Too many shooters waste too much time/money developing loads for these guns like the are shooting BR. Then when they find "the load" shoot everything from the bench instead of in position like they would in a match.”

Absolutely true. I fell into that trap in the beginning. I mean, after all, don’t ya have to shoot from the bench to see how well a load is? My answer is, not necessarily. Spent almost a whole year tinkering, tweaking, and fiddling with loads from the bench. Haven’t sat at the bench in about a year now. I settled on a 110 grain load and started practicing. I’m not a great GSV shooter but I am having a great time and lo and behold, I’m seeing my scores improve. I track all practice and match scores, like most of us. From my first clinic to today I’ve seen the improvement practice can provide. I’m also seeing areas where I need more practice. At this point my definition of how well a load shoots is how well it does in prone. Not saying I’ll never use a bench again but I know it won’t be near as often.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:10 PM

Default I need some learnin'

Well, i ordered some 125 TNT bullets to check out. I'm getting info from the publications that I don't understand, perhaps given my limited reloading experience.
My manual has loads for the M1, but nothing for this weight bullet.
It seems that the agreed speed is in the 2900 fps area. I'm planning to use Varget. The Speer data starts at 51.5 and just over 2700 fps. Can someone enlighten me about the effects on the op rod?
Taking responsibility for myself; what loads are you putting together for this bullet?

Jess
Old 09-03-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap17 View Post
Well, i ordered some 125 TNT bullets to check out. I'm getting info from the publications that I don't understand, perhaps given my limited reloading experience.
My manual has loads for the M1, but nothing for this weight bullet.
It seems that the agreed speed is in the 2900 fps area. I'm planning to use Varget. The Speer data starts at 51.5 and just over 2700 fps. Can someone enlighten me about the effects on the op rod?
Taking responsibility for myself; what loads are you putting together for this bullet?

Jess
When reloading for the Garand, your main concern is keeping your powder selection within a certain burn rate. Varget fits well within that range, so you should have no problems.

In my experience, 51.5 will give you way more than 2700 fps. I think most people get to 2900 with 50 grains of Varget. (That is the load that Ceresco has been recommending here for years, and its a winner.) I personally go a few grains lower than that, but that's from tinkering with my specific rifle.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Here are a couple threads on the 125TNT......
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....ghlight=125tnt
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....ghlight=125tnt