Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Matches - Camp Perry
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-06-2019, 07:47 PM
champ0608 champ0608 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 140
Default CMP, PLEASE buy the NRA high power trophies!

Even fewer entries at this year's NRA High Power Championships. Looks like about 85.

The CMP looks to planning a 2400 instead of a 2x1000 for next year's Cup matches. Please coordinate with the NRA to have their trophies at Camp Perry next year.

The NRA championship is a rapidly sinking ship. I don't want to see those trophies stored in a basement to collect dust. The competitors have spoken. The AMU isn't sending anyone to Atterbury. The CMP has the better matches, with more competitors, and the only place in America where these matches should be held.

Let's put an end to the divide and get those trophies.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-06-2019, 09:10 PM
TimRB TimRB is offline
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ0608 View Post
The CMP looks to planning a 2400 instead of a 2x1000 for next year's Cup matches.
Yes, a 2X1000 makes for a couple long days. Everyone I talked to at Camp Perry this year thought that 3X800 would be much more pleasant. Most were ready to go home after the first stage of 600. I just wish the NRA and CMP could get over this purse fight.

Tim
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-06-2019, 10:04 PM
champ0608 champ0608 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 140
Default

The CMP is moving forward...continually adding matches that draw in hundreds of competitors.

The NRA's championship is sinking fast. I applaud the individuals who still support it, but the vast majority have spoken, including the premiere professional shooters. These matches belong in one place at one time.

The CMP Cup had 300 competitors. The NRA Highpower championship has 1/4 of that. If the CMP could bump the 3x800 right up against the P100 on the calendar, they'd probably have 1000 shooters.

Imagine what a great week! Hearst Doubles, 800-1, 800-2, 800-3, P100, NTI, NTT, NTIT.

CMP, let's make this happen.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-22-2019, 04:45 PM
C-IOWAN C-IOWAN is offline
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Posts: 90
Default

It's a waist of time trying to get these trophies, they aren't CMP trophies .Pistol will be added next year as well as small bore . The NRA has signed a 10 year contract to have the championship Matches in Indiana, so let them fall flat on their faces. They will run their matches that won't come in conflict with CMP.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-22-2019, 05:13 PM
champ0608 champ0608 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-IOWAN View Post
It's a waist of time trying to get these trophies, they aren't CMP trophies .Pistol will be added next year as well as small bore . The NRA has signed a 10 year contract to have the championship Matches in Indiana, so let them fall flat on their faces. They will run their matches that won't come in conflict with CMP.
The point of my post is seeking to have those trophies become CMP trophies so that when the NRA intentionally runs their matches into the ground, the trophies won't simply fade to memory.

The CMP, not only converted their 2000 point Cup match into a 2400 for next year, they've also renamed it the "CMP National Championship." This would be a great time to just buy or even lease those trophies, and let the NRA move on.

And even though those matches aren't scheduled on top of the CMP matches, they absolutely are in conflict with the CMP. From a high power perspective at least, unless you live in the midwest or are retired, there's no way you'll be able to support both the CMP and the NRA next year. You will have to choose. And the vast majority will choose CMP.

The time has not only come, it has past. We do not need two sanctioning bodies with two sets of rules, two classification systems, two distinguished programs, and two Nationals. The NRA lost. The CMP won. Its time for the trophies to change hands for the benefit of the competitor/customer.

CMP make this happen.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-22-2019, 05:52 PM
C-IOWAN C-IOWAN is offline
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Posts: 90
Default

The reason I said this, was that the NRA had it's last national pistol match a Camp Perry this year. Next year it will be all CMP. Will the NRA be back.... don't bet on it. This is the CMP show. We need our own trophies! The tradition will always be here, room for new traditions are now. I can only do one, not both so CMP is it. But the military can do both an NRA an CMP will make it work, but they like CMP. By the whey NRA does not have distinguish program, CMP does not use it's own classification but uses NRA's an you will agree with me that will be just fine. We all must play by the rules so live an let live.
We train at NRA matches on home grounds. So we can compete at CMP. That is what it has been an will be. I hope to see all at the matches I will be shooting at. Good luck to all!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-22-2019, 06:12 PM
champ0608 champ0608 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-IOWAN View Post
The reason I said this, was that the NRA had it's last national pistol match a Camp Perry this year. Next year it will be all CMP. Will the NRA be back.... don't bet on it. This is the CMP show. We need our own trophies! The tradition will always be here, room for new traditions are now. I can only do one, not both so CMP is it. But the military can do both an NRA an CMP will make it work, but they like CMP. By the whey NRA does not have distinguish program, CMP does not use it's own classification but uses NRA's an you will agree with me that will be just fine. We all must play by the rules so live an let live.
We train at NRA matches on home grounds. So we can compete at CMP. That is what it has been an will be. I hope to see all at the matches I will be shooting at. Good luck to all!
In high power shooting, CMP does now use its own classifications, and those classifications are one point higher than NRA. (You have to average 97 to be an NRA XTC rifle high master, but need 98 to do it with the CMP.) And the NRA does now have its own Distinguished Program (they call them "steps" instead of "Legs" but its a direct ripoff) though I've never heard of any badges being awarded yet.

And yes, the CMP is paving a path forward with its own traditions, but me, being a history major, and someone with multiple generations of shooters with their names on NRA trophies, I don't want to see those just get mothballed.

And yes the military could do both, but in the case of high power shooting, the active duty teams didn't send anyone to Camp Atterbury to shoot the NRA XTC matches. Looks like they don't care.

Link to NRA distinguished program: https://competitions.nra.org/results...ished-program/

Link to CMP classification announcement: http://thecmp.org/new-classification...-travel-games/
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-22-2019, 08:26 PM
missilegeek missilegeek is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: AL
Posts: 1,931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ0608 View Post
The time has not only come, it has past. We do not need two sanctioning bodies with two sets of rules, two classification systems, two distinguished programs, and two Nationals. The NRA lost. The CMP won. Its time for the trophies to change hands for the benefit of the competitor/customer.

CMP make this happen.

Giving a monopoly on this sport to an entity that is completely unaccountable might not be all that great an idea. Not that the NRA is doing a good job of anything either. Neither are serious about being sanctioning bodies (the Monard fiasco and the constantly updated rules throughout the year show that). This whole split between NRA and CMP has been driven by ego and it does the competitors no favors. CMP wouldn't exist without the NRA (not political - NRA paid for the entire nationals for a number of years after government support was withdrawn). I guess they don't remember that. NRA has members it doesn't appear to think it needs to respond to and CMP has competitor customers they don't need for revenue. No good options.
__________________
Service Rifle: 1884-2015 RIP.
Service Pistol: 1903-2014

Last edited by missilegeek; 08-22-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-25-2019, 10:25 AM
champ0608 champ0608 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 140
Default

I wouldn't encourage the NRA to disappear from the infrastructure altogether. They do a fine job collecting a fee and allowing other people to run NRA matches. They're the ones that maintain the National Records, the high score clubs, the classifications; they give some recognition for State Champions, and their Regional Medals are quite nice. In that role, the NRA is fine by me. I wish they'd do a better job of covering their sport in the American Rifleman, but maybe next month's issue will have a nice spread on the Championships...we'll see.

But it is very clear that if they continue to run the National Championship, it won't exist much longer. That was true with the CMP simply running a 2x1000 "Cup". But now that the CMP has changed to a 3x800 "National Championship" there will be even fewer of the shooters who have to choose one or the other who will be interested in choosing NRA.

So when the NRA Championships fold, wouldn't it be nice to see those trophies at Camp Perry, being competed for by a few hundred riflemen and awarded by the CMP? That's all I'm after.

Last edited by champ0608; 08-25-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-26-2019, 09:25 AM
missilegeek missilegeek is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: AL
Posts: 1,931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ0608 View Post
So when the NRA Championships fold, wouldn't it be nice to see those trophies at Camp Perry, being competed for by a few hundred riflemen and awarded by the CMP? That's all I'm after.

My point was this: Highpower deserves a real sanctioning body that takes their job seriously. Neither organization is that anymore, from NRA's smallbore vote they tossed to CMP's constantly changing rulebooks and Monard coat "cheater" allegations.
__________________
Service Rifle: 1884-2015 RIP.
Service Pistol: 1903-2014
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 PM.