Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 10:14 AM

Default CMP Auction

At this moment, I am not a happy camper. My last trip down, I specifically asked, and was told by a staff member, auction purchases were outside the 8 rifle limit. I recently won 2 items on the auction, and am now told I can't have them. This cost both of us time, frustration and money. I suppose there is no way around stopping the purchases, but I don't appreciate the misinformation that sent me down this path. While Sharron has been quite kind in notifying me of this situation, I am not happy. Maybe I'm just an idiot, but the faq's also auction m1's fall outside the 8 limit.

Last edited by sachst; 10-14-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:50 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

I thought Mark changed the policy when he took over and the limit was 12 at that time....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
12 M1 limit means a customer can purchase 12 M1 Garands in a calendar year. No exceptions for M1 D, M1 C, or auction. All are inclusive in the 12 quantity M1 Garand limit per year. New Sheriff in town.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showpost.ph...2&postcount=10
Old 10-14-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
I thought Mark changed the policy when he took over and the limit was 12 at that time....

http://forums.thecmp.org/showpost.ph...2&postcount=10
Me, too, as well as the faq's stating the auction items were exempt.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:03 AM

Damn, I would be upset too!!! Looks like two confirmations that auction M1's are exempt.
Quote:
These special sales and purchases through the CMP auction site do not count against the above.
http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/sales-faq/

So who is right?
Old 10-14-2019, 02:20 PM

I didnt think it had anything to do with Mark or the CMP, but the MOU held with the Army that changed to 8/year?
Old 10-14-2019, 02:43 PM

Well, then they need to get their act together and get on the same sheet. I acted in good faith based on all available resources. I feel like I need to be able to get these, based on the resources cited, and If I have tripped over a SNAFU, it needs fixed for the future.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:22 PM

"Per the newly completed and signed Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the U.S. Army and the Civilian Marksmanship Program, M1 Garands will be limited to eight per calendar year, per customer. The CMP considers any item containing an M1 Garand receiver with a serial number to be an M1 Garand and will deduct from the eight M1 Garand rifle limit per year."
The above was copied directly from the CMP Rifle Sales / M1 Garand. As most of us who have been buying from the CMP for years know the rules change from time to time at the wim of the government department that set the rules for the CMP. It is the responsibility of the buyer to know the rules in effect when they wish to purchase from the CMP. Some time back, you could purchase 12 M1 Garands a year and the auction purchases didn't count. Times change and the rules change. A few years back no one thought the CMP would ever be able to sell M1911s but it happened. Don't be angry at the CMP because you didn't know the rules. I recall reading on this Forum some time ago that Mark stated all M1 Garand purchases including drill rifles and auction rifles counted toward the 8 gun per limit.

Last edited by MajDave; 10-14-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajDave View Post
"Per the newly completed and signed Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the U.S. Army and the Civilian Marksmanship Program, M1 Garands will be limited to eight per calendar year, per customer. The CMP considers any item containing an M1 Garand receiver with a serial number to be an M1 Garand and will deduct from the eight M1 Garand rifle limit per year."
The above was copied directly from the CMP Rifle Sales / M1 Garand. As most of us who have been buying from the CMP for years know the rules change from time to time at the wim of the government department that set the rules for the CMP. It is the responsibility of the buyer to know the rules in effect when they wish to purchase from the CMP. Some time back, you could purchase 12 M1 Garands a year and the auction purchases didn't count. Times change and the rules change. A few years back no one thought the CMP would ever be able to sell M1911s but it happened. Don't be angry at the CMP because you didn't know the rules. I recall reading on this Forum some time ago that Mark stated all M1 Garand purchases including drill rifles and auction rifles counted toward the 8 gun per limit.
When we go to the FAQ page and listed there that M1 auction rifles do not count toward the 8 limit, where are we suppose to go to get the "rules"????
It's on CMP's own page and is crystal clear. I think we can only count on the written words printed here for the "rules" to buy by!!!
Old 10-14-2019, 05:08 PM

It appears that the CMP has different rules posted on different areas of their web site. Hopefully they will correct this for the future and make it right for the gentleman who was following the guidance from a CMP employee. I never looked into the FAQ area, just into the Garand Sales area. The CMP has always gone out of their way to do right by their customers but they do have to follow the rules the government sets down for them. Good Luck in a fair resolution to resolve this unfortunate situation.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:23 PM

This thread was posted 5 hours ago and am a bit surprised that there has been no reply either here or by Email/PM to a resolution/clarity to this. Since this is posted in the "Ask CMP", I figured at least one of the Mods would have responded by now.

sachst, have you Emailed Mark Johnson on this issue?