Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2009, 04:44 PM

Default Ammo prices/cigarette prices?

I passed a service station the other day, saw their add for Marlboro/carton-$47.95! Reminded me of the last smokes I bought in 1980,(only smoked 2 years, thank goodness). Used to buy em at the Seminole Indian "cigarette shops", along the highway, in South Florida. Carton of Marlboro-$5.50. I know it's a different "vice", and lawsuits and heavy taxes jacked those prices. But when I think, that only 3 years ago I was buying factory new ammo for 1/2 what it costs today, it makes me wonder where the "ceiling" may be. Price increases are common at 10%, 20%, even 30%, at a time.
Just had to vent some steam over this. Any optimists think prices will stop skyrocketing? I sure hope so. I guess I could start reloading today, for about the cost of last years new ammo!
Old 12-02-2009, 05:01 PM

Many years ago, I was pulling targets in the pits for a NRA HP match with a Palma Shooter. The guy was just pounding the target with his rifle and I asked him what I could do to be better at the game. He said, throw the cigaretts away. I quit the next weekend. Not smoking pays for my ammo, paid for my all leather shooting coat, my shooting cart, my WOP upper, my first Bushmaster DCM rifle. I went from expert to master class the mext season. I figure the 20 pounds I gained is less of a health risk than the smoking.

Thank you Kent Reeve, I owe you. You never know how an honest suggestion can affect a person that is motivated to shoot straight.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:53 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to jaw1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman View Post
I passed a service station the other day, saw their add for Marlboro/carton-$47.95! Reminded me of the last smokes I bought in 1980,(only smoked 2 years, thank goodness). Used to buy em at the Seminole Indian "cigarette shops", along the highway, in South Florida. Carton of Marlboro-$5.50. I know it's a different "vice", and lawsuits and heavy taxes jacked those prices. But when I think, that only 3 years ago I was buying factory new ammo for 1/2 what it costs today, it makes me wonder where the "ceiling" may be. Price increases are common at 10%, 20%, even 30%, at a time.
Just had to vent some steam over this. Any optimists think prices will stop skyrocketing? I sure hope so. I guess I could start reloading today, for about the cost of last years new ammo!
Craftsman, years ago back in the late '70 I got to talk to a Remington tech. Long story, I asked him about reloading and he told me to start and stock up
since Jan the prices were "jumping". I did start but did not "stock up" enough. The history I have is I do not see a ceiling. Just a point I can no
longer shoot. A commodities guy told me a couple of years ago, "... you only need two commodities, lead and gold...the more you have of 1 the less you will need of the other!"
Regards,
John
Old 12-02-2009, 09:01 PM

I smoked three packs of Marlboro red a day. Knew I'd gain when I quit.....My bud said: "Would you rather carry a little extra weight around your waist or a heavy oxygen bottle on your shoulder"?

Seven years now. And yes.....amazing how ammo and cigarette prices have risen.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:20 PM

A carton of smokes was $1.20 in the PX overseas in the 1960's. You could go on a week R&R downtown on two cartons. A dollar was worth 1500 Yen on the blackmarket and a quart of "SUN TORY Simulated Scotch Whisky" was .70 cents. Those were the good old days!
Stargazer
Old 12-02-2009, 09:39 PM

About the time smokes were 1.20 a carton I,and maybe you,were being paid 78.00 dollars a month !
Old 12-02-2009, 10:01 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishsteve View Post
About the time smokes were 1.20 a carton I,and maybe you,were being paid 78.00 dollars a month !

That's exactly what I got in boot camp.GS
Old 12-02-2009, 10:59 PM

Maybe you should start shooting your cigarettes and smoking your ammo?
Old 12-03-2009, 12:09 AM

I have never smoked...but my wife does and claims she is quitting any day now. The doctors say she has a large black spot on her lungs now, still won't give up the smokes.

Don't worry, all of us pay for her medical care so it's all good. VA hospital covers it all, ya I know not fair and I have had this discussion with her daily.

Oh well we have an understanding: I won't sacrifice me shooting sports to put a dime toward her smoking medical related care...but then again, the VA seems more than willing to undertake that task.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:59 AM

In 1964, Norma 7x57 Mauser (hunting ammo) was selling for around $7.00 a box so maybe ammo has been underpriced for the last 10 years.