Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2021, 04:37 PM

Default BEHOLD: The Speckled Carbine

Hey folks, kind of a follow-up to my recent carbine post on the 1942 Inland I was looking at. Well, it's mine now, and from what I and Craig Rieschs book can tell it is correct. One thing that I did notice when buying it was that one side of the gun seemed to be covered in white specks that the sell referred to as "spider ********." I was dubious and I wasn't going to pass up an original early Inland over some white specks and since it was a face-to-face sale I got to look over the entire gun so I was confident otherwise. After getting it home I'm quite certain that it is paint on the stock. Overall the carbine doesn't exhibit much use wear but during its lifetime it was obviously improperly stored and there is some surface rust on the receiver and rear sight.

As seen in the photos the sling is marked with "H.W. Wallace" which must have been who this carbine was issued to. I didn't get much of a back story on it, unfortunately, since I bought it from a Winchester collector who got it from someone else so the story got lost in translation somewhere.
Before I do anything stupid I figured I would ask you folks for an opinion on the stock. Would you guys go about trying to clean off the paint and if so how would you go about it. Also any recommendations on cleaning up the metal?

I'm extremely happy with this carbine as a younger collector and I'm just hoping to preserve it and get it back to the best condition it can be in.

Before cleaning
https://imgur.com/gallery/g3JyZyl

After clean up
https://imgur.com/gallery/5BJCXns
Old 09-29-2021, 05:55 PM

Looks like it was too close to somebody using a can of spray paint? I suspect there is little/no historic "value' to the paint flecks so no harm in removing them? Using just what I don't know for sure. A drop of mineral spirits on a Q-Tip?
Old 09-29-2021, 06:01 PM

I’d probably not do anything. Whatever you try might actually highlight the dots or possibly remove the paint but also clean and lighten the area.
Old 09-29-2021, 06:15 PM

In a closet and some one used a paint roller. I have received them like that before. I used a sharp edge to pop off the spots of paint one at a time. They are not stuck hard to the wood.
Old 09-29-2021, 06:28 PM

D@mn Painters,

I remember the Lansing Michigan GM Assembly plant had over 600+ new vehicles parked awaiting transport when they found most had been over sprayed by the Painting contractors there spraying safety rails on a roof top.

Depending on the heights being sprayed from, the temp and wind speed Oil based can carry well over a 1000 yards wet.
Farther with gusting winds and lower temps.

Trick to your removal will be trial and error to figure out if the paint is Latex or Oil based.
I'd test a spot (hoping it's Latex) with a Q tip and Acetone.
Also if Latex a dab of Windex with the Ammonia in it will soften it so you can pick it off with the point of a razor pen knife.

You might get lucky and it be Latex from roller splatter while a room was being painted and the carbine hanging on a rack.

The black mineral water stains that got drawn up from the end grain under the butt plate can be removed with 'Bar Keepers Friend' There are links here about it if you search.

Congrats on a very nice carbine and Thx for sharing it !

Charlie-Painter777
Old 09-29-2021, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by painter777 View Post
D@mn Painters,

I remember the Lansing Michigan GM Assembly plant had over 600+ new vehicles parked awaiting transport when they found most had been over sprayed by the Painting contractors there spraying safety rails on a roof top.

Depending on the heights being sprayed from, the temp and wind speed Oil based can carry well over a 1000 yards wet.
Farther with gusting winds and lower temps.

Trick to your removal will be trial and error to figure out if the paint is Latex or Oil based.
I'd test a spot (hoping it's Latex) with a Q tip and Acetone.
Also if Latex a dab of Windex with the Ammonia in it will soften it so you can pick it off with the point of a razor pen knife.

You might get lucky and it be Latex from roller splatter while a room was being painted and the carbine hanging on a rack.

The black mineral water stains that got drawn up from the end grain under the butt plate can be removed with 'Bar Keepers Friend' There are links here about it if you search.

Congrats on a very nice carbine and Thx for sharing it !

Charlie-Painter777

Love the username, I'll start experimenting on it to see what will work the best with the least amount of damage. Also thanks for noticing the black water stains, I honestly had no idea what that was. Be back soon with an update.
Old 09-29-2021, 06:43 PM

Very nice 42 Inland Carbine. I purchased one earlier this year. Great examples of GM and WW2 history.
Old 09-29-2021, 07:29 PM

Specks and all…very nice carbine!!
Old 09-29-2021, 08:34 PM

Ditto on what 6Ring posted. Time consuming but doesn't change finish.
Old 09-29-2021, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kro View Post
Ditto on what 6Ring posted. Time consuming but doesn't change finish.
I'm starting to figure that out, been working at it for about an hour and the acetone and Windex didn't seem to have a great effect