Go Back   CMP Forums > Marketplace > Parts Wanted
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2010, 11:25 AM

Default WTB : 1903 "C" Stock for Factory Sporter

I have a 1903 origional Factory Sporter that has a cut stock where a older aftermarket "Decelerator" butt pad was installed. It was pretty much just screwed on after the rear of the stock was cut off about 3/4 of an inch, rather Bubba'd up actually. I would like to find a decent "C" stock and refinish it using the origional steel butt plate. Since the rest of the rifle is in good shape I'd like to replace the stock. Since the sporter stocks were origional stocks with the foreends cut off and rounded, I'd like to get a decent "C" stock that maybe the foreend is bad and cant be used on a collector grade rifle but could be used as a sporter stock. reply: rcastle57@prodigy.net
Old 02-09-2010, 11:34 AM

Default Sporter stock.

I think on the original Sporters the barrel I.D. is larger than the G.I. barrels. May have to enlarge the barrel channel.

Does yours have a star gauge barrel & electo-pincled sr. number on the bolt?

These are gems of 03s! Ron
Old 02-09-2010, 12:03 PM

Hi, thanks for the post. I dont know that much about the 1903's and I cant find the marks you mentioned. The bolt and receiver are both nickel steel and are blue'd. The barrel is 4 groove chrome lined and I saw a rifle that had the markings you describe that was listed on "Cabella's" for about $5000 I think it was $4999 to be exact but I dont have those kind of markings on the rifle I have. My serial number was close to the one that was listed on Cabella's though. Also the receiver on mine as well as the bolt do not have the ordinance markings I see and hear a lot about on the posts. The stock has two circled "P" marks on the bottom of the wrist grip and I think there is one other mark on the side of the stock, I will have to check again but there are no other acceptance marks, eagle heads or flaming bomb marks on it anywhere. It has a Lyman peep sight, not the kind that come down really far onthe right side of the stock 57SME I think it was, (I'm not at home so i am going off fuzzy old guy memory). It's overall a nice clean rifle just someone cut the back of the stock off and put a aftermarket buttpad on it and didnt really take the time to do a nice job. Oh, it is also not tapped for a scope.

Last edited by Chinook57; 02-09-2010 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Forgot about the scope part
Old 02-09-2010, 12:04 PM

There are 1903 C stocks (current production) on the CMP estore, if you want to go that route for the time being.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:13 PM

Yes I saw them and I am thinking I might end up going that route but I kinda dont want to hack up a new stock if I can avoid it, also I was hoping to maybe save a few bucks on a decent used stock.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:20 PM

Default Star gauge

Star gauge barrels MAY have the "star" stamped on the muzzle at the 6 oclock spot. Star gauge WILL have a number stamped (3 or 4 numbers) on the bottom of the barrel about 10 t0 12 inches up from the chamber. You will have to remove the barrel/receiver from stock to see the numbers.

Remove bolt from rifle and then turn extractor to show where electo pinceled Sr number MAY be. Correct bolt should be marked N.S. on top of bolt handle root.

Is there a barrel date just under the front sight? Should be able to see this with out removing the sight. Ron
Old 02-09-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook57 View Post
Yes I saw them and I am thinking I might end up going that route but I kinda dont want to hack up a new stock if I can avoid it, also I was hoping to maybe save a few bucks on a decent used stock.
Chinook, email sent with pics of one that might work. Don't think it's a 'C', but instead a straight grip with the forend shortened. Buttplate is intact and in pretty good shape, no cracks dings or splits.

Dale
Old 02-10-2010, 10:20 AM

Default Origionality In Question?

Well this is getting a bit perplexing. It may not be a factory Sporter after all. The weirdality of it is that there are no Ordinance marks on the receiver or barrel and only the circled "P" stamped on the bottom of the wrist grip. It has a "C" stock, the bolt has the NS stamped on it but I dont see any numbers on the barrel or the star/suncrest. Also it has an adjustable trigger. No etchings or scribes on the bolt or receiver. The barrel is a four groove chrome lined and except for the stock being cut off and the bubba'd up buttpad, it's too clean to be a toss together sporter. It's not tapped for a scope, just has the Lyman 57SME peeper on it. I'll post the Ser. Number when I get home, it's in the seven digits so its not an early 1903. Maybe someone can help me out on this one.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rone View Post
Star gauge barrels MAY have the "star" stamped on the muzzle at the 6 oclock spot. Star gauge WILL have a number stamped (3 or 4 numbers) on the bottom of the barrel about 10 t0 12 inches up from the chamber. You will have to remove the barrel/receiver from stock to see the numbers.

Remove bolt from rifle and then turn extractor to show where electo pinceled Sr number MAY be. Correct bolt should be marked N.S. on top of bolt handle root.

Is there a barrel date just under the front sight? Should be able to see this with out removing the sight. Ron
Ok, the Serial Number is 1270253. I dont have any numbers on the barrel, the barrel looks like it has been polished and blued. There is a funny mark on the top of the barrel, just behind the front sight, about an inch or so down behind the front sight towards the receiver. It looks like it is either a screw hole that has been filled and polished over or a stamp that has been partially polished out. I tend to think it is a screw hole but it's not round or very obvious. I thought at first it was a rust pit but that would not make sense because there is no rust or pitting on the rest of the rifle. there is no shiney steel showing to make me think it is a ding. Kinda looks like a "W" with something under it. The bolt looks like it has been polished up also but other than the NS stamped on the bolt handle there are no markings. The only stock/barrel band has a "U" stamp. The adjustable trigger is marked "Dayton-Traister Co." Portland OR. Ok, I'm spent, what is this beast, any ideas?