Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 06:28 PM

Default Korean PS 74 & 75 Headstamp Question

After conducting my Google searches and CMP Forum searches, it is inclonclusive, in my opinion, as to whether Poongsan Metal Manufacturing Company Ltd .30-06 with a headstamp of PS 74 or 75 is dangerous.

Some places on the internet stated these may be dangerous rounds in that they split on occasion. Others users of this ammo have had no problems.

I am looking for a good solid difinitive answer on whether these rounds should or should not be fired or reloaded.

Thanks!

Last edited by .30 Carbine; 12-06-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:56 PM

Some people have had issues, others haven't. PS 2-152 with PS 75 headstamp blew up some (a)? gun(s) a few years ago but I haven't heard anything in recent years.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:34 PM

I got a 400 round can of PS-2-180, headstamp PS 75, a few years ago. I used this list in my decision to fire the ammo:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i...p/t-95571.html

All 400 rounds fired normally. So take that for what it is worth.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:14 PM

Thank you for that link. I needed to have it too.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:57 PM

I have fired somewhere in the vicinity of 3000 rds. of PS with no problems. The brass has held up pretty good as far as reloading goes. YMMV.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:52 AM

The only definitive answer is "it depends". There is no way to figure out which lot of ammo it is by only looking at the headstamp. Some lots were just fine and some were bad, all with the same headstamp. I'm sure a google search could come up with lists of the bad lots.

If you can't find lot number info, you'd be rolling the dice on weather or not you have one of the "bad" lots.

IIRC, there was only a few bad lots but most of the korean I shot back in the day was PS 79 headstamped and there was no known bad lots of this ammo afaik.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:33 AM

Thanks Colt100 and others who took the time to reply to my question. I think Colt has it about right in writing, "It depends." Seems like a game of Russian Roulette with a lot of cylinders in the revolver when you are shooting the PS 74's and 75's. In other words, there is a small chance of a problem and a shooter has to ask the classic Dirty Harry line, "do you feel lucky?"

I think I will set them aside and discard them in the dud box the next time I am at the range.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:23 PM

This is what my nice CMP Garand looks like after shooting Korean PS 75 ammo in it.

I have now pulled all the bullets from the cartridges with that head stamp.

I now have a new CMP walnut stock ordered. It certainly isn't an original replacement for my SA stock.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
This is what my nice CMP Garand looks like after shooting Korean PS 75 ammo in it.
You OK?
Google advanced search: http://www.google.com/advanced_search?hl=en
In "site or domain" put: forums.thecmp.org
-
Old 04-14-2013, 07:54 PM

I was shooting a few rounds and I was just getting ready to let my 10 year old son shoot it, with my help of course. I went ahead and took the 6th shot when it went "boom". I'm glad I took the shot instead of him. I was going to let him shoot #6 thru 8 and I don't know why I decided to take the 6th shot. I think he may be afraid to shoot it now. He was shooting an AR just fine, but he always wanted to shoot a Garand. Next time it is CMP, HXP ammo for him to shoot.
As far as me, I am really hurting. It always hurts when you ruin an original Garand stock. LOL I am fine, thanks for asking. By the way, I alway wear hearing and eye protection for me and my entire family.

I've had that Korean ammo for about 20 years, but it is no more since I pulled all the bullets. I'll reload them with some decent powder.

Last edited by M2HB; 04-14-2013 at 07:56 PM.