Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2011, 07:06 PM

Default 10-12-11 SS report

Just went to the SS today. Picked up a nice '43 M1D SG, HRA FG w/ a 1+ muzzle & 2+ throat, and what I believe was the last decent rack grade Remington M1917 Enfield. They had some interesting m1d serial numbers on the rack, I saw a 7 digit with "98189" in it, a "3388" 7 digit, and one 7 digit with "666" in it (thought about picking that one up!)

Racks are full of m1 specials, corrects, m1d's, & m1c's.

Not alot of HRA & SA FG's left on the rack, PLENTY of WRA FG's, some of them had danish stocks on them.

Still some Krags both chrome and non chrome

Few M1917 drill rifles, most of them painted in black or white

A couple of 1903A3 drill rifles, all painted white

Couple of m1917 rack grades, all no headspaced

Few stripped m1 recievers

Still some stripped 1917 barreled recievers, most chrome (one of them had a Nat'l Cemetery plate on the left side of the rear sight)

Plenty of .22's both whole rifles and stripped barreled recievers

Plenty of the $175 16" bayo's

Plenty of stripped m1 barrels, most of them looked rusted IMHO

They were selling 250 linked HXP for $90

Had a box of rough looking m1 carbine mags
Old 10-12-2011, 07:08 PM

Give us info on both guns! Did you take them with you?
Old 10-12-2011, 07:12 PM

The ones with the unique serial numbers?
Old 10-12-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallguy7 View Post
The ones with the unique serial numbers?
The ones you purchased.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:24 PM

I ended up picking up a '43 SA m1d, I had help from the cmp staff (he was a young guy, wore a hornady shirt, very knowledgeable about m1's) on this one, all usgi park, walnut stock, had wwii trigger group, 1+ muzzle 1+ throat. The stock wasn't a m1d stock, it had a "X" on the pistol grip, so I'm guessing greek. But when I went to the counter to have it taken apart to see it in detail, the guy said, "....looks like a glass bedded stock, these are suppose to be set aside for the NM M1's". Fortunately they left it on that m1. So with that on top of everything else, I decided to take it.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:38 PM

Sounds like you did very well. Great MW & TE numbers on the M1D. Get us some pics when you get a chance. Mine had been re-parked to a nice green finish and my MW & TE numbers were 1 and 2. Thanks for the update on the visit!
Old 10-13-2011, 07:34 AM

Excellent report to which I can add little. I was able to stop by briefly in the afternoon, just to look at the Krags and M1917s. I didn't see any service grade 1917s and the few rack and field grades they had did not headspace. However, not all of the painted or chromed 1917s were drill rifles. Some of them were ceremonials, and were not plugged or welded. I took home a white painted one that gauged about 1 on mw, had a bright, shiny bore, had been re-blued, and had a definite cartouche visible under the paint. A helpful member of the staff suggested that the condition of the bore might indicate that this was a colorguard rifle, rather than a funeral rifle, since it showed little evidence of being fired. We'll see how it looks all cleaned up with the paint removed. In any event, it's hard to go wrong on this one for $250, and if I don't make the cut for a mail order service grade, I'll still be happy.

The X grade Krag I bought had nice wood, a strong 1902 cartouche, and a fairly bright bore. The only downside was some pitting on the top of the barrel, possibly where it sat in a rifle rack or crate for years, but it wasn't too bad. I found one Krag that looked a little better, but it was missing a safety, so I left it in the rack.

As always, the staff was very helpful and efficient.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
. But when I went to the counter to have it taken apart to see it in detail, the guy said, "....looks like a glass bedded stock, these are suppose to be set aside for the NM M1's".
Funny you mentioned that. I was there last Wednesday and picked up a FG M1 for our club. Our club's gunsmith disassembled it with the intent on re-barreling it (we have NOS barrels). When we stopped by to see his progress yesterday, we found the stock had been previously bedded .

Since this is a club rifle, which will be used in competitions (bedding is illegal in CMP sanctioned JCG Matches), we're in the process of contacting customer service about replacing it. Issue is, the barrel has been changed out of the receiver and typically Customer Service wants you to send the entire rifle back. I'm sure they'll work with us.

Somebody in the SS hasn't been pulling the bedded stocks....

I guess I should of disassembled it at the counter, but last Wednesday was the release of the bolt rifles and the counter was a 'little" busy. Add that to the fact there were only 8 or so M1 FG's in the store and there you have it.

Interesting.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:52 AM

Hey edpm3,
I believe I got the sister rifle of yours yesterday (1917). Same specs as the one you picked up, but it doesn't look like a cartouche is under the white paint on mine. I broke it down last night and all the parts are correct on my rifle. The bore looks fabulous too. I didn't think I would get a 1917, but I am real excited to shoot this one after seeing it in the store, then breaking it down at home. I think these rifles were two gems that had been passed over.

I saw your rifle, and showed it to another fellow. I smacked myself in the head for not selecting yours (since it had the cartouche under the paint). But, I had already turned mine in and gotten the paperwork completed, etc.

I'm going to strip the paint off the stock this weekend. It is really slathered in while paint. I noticed my stock was stamped Remington on the inside, and someone had taken pains to keep the stock all together as the handguards had the serial number written on the inside.

The racks had a lot of empty spaces yesterday, which was a bit depressing. However, I hope everyone that ordered a Remington 513t and 521t gets one. Those are some super nice rifles. There were a few left yesterday, which the staffers said were not going to be replenished in the store.

I noticed one 1903 receiver left in the racks when I left, No. 945945. Six rusty chromed 1903s were left in the rack that were just terrible.

A ton of Krags there if you are into those rifles.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:45 AM

aub1957, I may have been the guy you showed it to. If so, thanks! I only had a short time to spend at the store and you saved me enough time to let me pick out a good Krag. I can't wait to get it home and see what's underneath.