Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
"They" are not consistent at inspection, and especially for MM rifles......and that is somewhat of an understatement. However, I passed inspection with a medium weight Fulton barrel many times. They never checked barrel profile, told me you could not make the old weight limit with a medium weight barrel, but I could and did. Good Shooting. ....
I agree.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:50 PM

Taking the hooded rear sight off an M1A std and no nm front sight to shoot against scopes is ,
well kind of odd.Its the rule so I go with it..
Old 05-07-2018, 06:04 PM

To be clear, the M1A Loaded isn’t even a hooded rear. It is a smaller apperature than a standard but no hood like on NM guns. I never considered but a scoped M1A would be legal too huh if you figure the weight issues out. Yea, this is a complicated sport to create rules for huh?

Anyways, sounds like mileage will vary on these. I do appreciate the feedback as God knows the M1A is likely next on my list.

Last edited by Quarterbore; 05-07-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:19 PM
GSM Master Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McGrath View Post
...The strict exception is that you must use a Springfield M1A rifle (it is there Match, after all) if your going too get any of the bobbles & trinkets provided you should win or make the podium .....
Not so... I actually had asked Mike from SAI a few years ago and a time or two since, all brands of M14 style rifles fitting the rules are fine.
Mike B
Old 09-22-2018, 01:54 PM

I'm blowing life back into this thread. Started another before finding this.

I'm trying to decide on the M!A Std or Loaded, and the James River one as well ... having trouble getting a bolted down ruling on what's allowed and what's isn't

The CMP rulebook hasn't been a help either ... all I've found is don't > 10.0 lbs
May it rest in peace.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:20 PM

Read 5.22 again. Good Shooting. ...
Old 09-23-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Read 5.22 again. Good Shooting. ...
Heres some problems with the rules.
As the rules read in the 2018 games rules.
5.1.2 section B says to go to sections
5.2.3 and 5.2.4 for mondern military rules no mention of 5.2.2
Also it makes no reference to barrel profile. Yes theres the no "match conditioning" part but a medium weight barrel is hard to define as a match conditioning item. The barrel could suck. Also gou would think barrel twist would be considered "match conditioning " if you go out side the "as issued" M14 twist
Old 09-23-2018, 10:45 AM

5.2.2 "General Rules for Modern Military Rifles" Applies to all MM rifles. I'm not defending the rulebook. The height of absurdity is 5.2.2. e) ....rifle must have M16 type sight, etc. This is obviously for AR types and embedded in 5.2.2 "General Rules" Obvious errors that any competent editor would correct..... Good Shooting. ...
Old 09-23-2018, 04:36 PM

Interesting that I can on this thread today because I was wondering the same thing, i.e. is a SAI Loaded legal for the MM match.

I'm wanting to shooting the the CMP Western games this year and would like to shoot as many matches as possible. The only thing I have close to a MM rifle is a M1A loaded. I could replace the front sight with a std USGI sight and Im sure it would make the 10#weight limit but the medium weight barrel is the question.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
5.2.2 "General Rules for Modern Military Rifles" Applies to all MM rifles. I'm not defending the rulebook. The height of absurdity is 5.2.2. e) ....rifle must have M16 type sight, etc. This is obviously for AR types and embedded in 5.2.2 "General Rules" Obvious errors that any competent editor would correct..... Good Shooting. ...
Rulz, funny tings they is.