Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1A/M14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2018, 01:47 PM

Default Are Synthetic Stocks Legal for CMP Competition?

All I can find in the rulebook is weight, yet I know there are other rules around type of sights, etc, and I believe the type of stock ... presumably the synthetics approach "bedding" since they are a bit more precise?

Anyways, if someone could help by throwing in all the M1A particulars, that'd be appreciated.

I'm buying myself a present now that I've qualified bronze in as-issued M1 Garand, but want the M1A to be legal for competition as well
May it rest in peace.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:17 PM

Well....your M1A would be fired in the Modern Military and the M1A match (@ Camp Perry). Rules for the MM match have been a confusing morass from its inception and inspections notoriously inconsistent. The M1A match has been open to rifle variations traditionally, but with CMP taking over the NRA (and SA inc.) role, things could change. Fortunately, stocks for the M14 are plentiful and relatively inexpensive. My preference is a standard mil spec wood stock for the MM class and whatever shoots best for the M1A match. A GI synthetic stock would be pretty safe for either match, but again the MM rules and inspection.. Buy your M1A and get a couple additional stocks, read the rules and show up with something you can defend if necessary. Good Shooting. ...
Old 09-22-2018, 09:20 PM

Glad it's not just me. There does seem to be a lack of clarity. Thanks for the info and your perspective.
May it rest in peace.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:59 AM

USGI fiberglass Hydro-dipped. Legal on my private range. Humor.
RVN 67-68
Old 09-23-2018, 09:56 AM

Fiberglass stocks where issued so should be legal
. I would gander a "GI" profile would be in order for Mondern Military BUT now we have to find out how mondern Mondern Mil is supposed to be and are we going after any mil standard weapon issued or those rifles issued in mass to infantry for battle?
I would gandern that if it "looks" like a classic M14 and comes in at weight you should be good?
Old 09-23-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
All I can find in the rulebook is weight, yet I know there are other rules around type of sights, etc, and I believe the type of stock ... presumably the synthetics approach "bedding" since they are a bit more precise?
SAI sells new M1As in a polymer (not fiberglass) stock; CMP would have no benefit from disallowing them..
The USGI fiberglass stock was intended to be a replacement for the wood. It was not intended to be more precise and assuming such will be disappointing. Being "made" of fiberglass is nothing like "fiberglass bedded".
That said, they have some advantages over wood; more resistant to temperature and humidity changes. Would the average shooter notice any difference? I haven't ever heard of such, and I haven't noticed any difference.
Other than weight.....

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 09-24-2018, 04:39 AM
GSM Master Instructor

If you are asking about regular, across-the-course CMP competition (as in standard service rifle category) - YES, fiberglass (McMillan) and laminated stocks are legal.

Regarding other types of competition, you'll have to read that rulebook specifically.

As far as a "service rifle" competition, you are GTG.

Mike B
Old 09-25-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeet6 View Post
If you are asking about regular, across-the-course CMP competition (as in standard service rifle category) - YES, fiberglass (McMillan) and laminated stocks are legal.

Regarding other types of competition, you'll have to read that rulebook specifically.

As far as a "service rifle" competition, you are GTG.

Mike B
Thank you Mike.
May it rest in peace.