Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
rickgman:

Yes, I too use grease in my pistols but, to be arrogant, feel comfortable in doing so because I understand it's limitations.
They don't say "Don't use grease" but you're right they don't say "Use this either......"

For me personally... I don't use grease in/on an AR though. I run them wet (not soaked) and that has always done me well.
An M1, I do though.

So either way...I guess I contradict them a lot....

Thanks for the links and further comments!.....
Steve,

Like you I do not use grease on AR type rifles. There is a reason for that. In DI rifles, it is very important to keep the carbon particles in suspension. Oil does that well but grease does not.

You are correct that if one is to use grease on a 1911, they must know the limitations of grease when used on that weapon and act accordingly. The most important factor is viscocity and that is affected by both the temperature and the characteristics of the grease. Sluggish operation on a recoil operated weapon is problematic.

In many ways, I think that Wilson's application recommendation for their Ultima II grease is somewhat questionable. However, the viscocity is not really that high so it is kind of like a semi-fluid (like the higher viscocity LSA) than a conventional grease.

Basically, not all greases are the same and if one does decide to use grease on a 1911 pistol, discretion is highly advised.

The often repeated saying that if it rolls, oil it and if it slides, grease it is terribly oversimplistic. Those who adhere to that logic do not have a firm grasp of the complexities associated with tribology.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:40 PM

To amplify the last couple posts, I tore my CMP down today and the Wilson Ultima was almost gone. I credit that to the parkerizing still soaking it up(?). Soo,another application is due tomorrow. My old “homebuilt” doesn’t do that, but usually what I do when taking it out for session is a couple drops on the rails,bushing & around bbl hood area; never a function problem. Oh, use Eezox for oiling;love that stufff.

Last edited by jwenum; 11-18-2019 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Addition to thread