Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Feedback
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 06:49 AM

Default Bolts gun case VS. Grand rifle case

Hi
I know the North Store is currently out of all rifle cases.

When you folks re-order, I think you should only order the bolt gun rifle cases, and not the M1 Garand (only)rifle cases.

Having used both, the bolt gun cases are totally open with foam, and MUCH more versatile. I can put my scoped AR-15 service rifle in it with no problem.
The M1 Garand only case will only take that rifle, and possibly an M1A.

I think this would increase customer satisfaction, and be easier on the CMP store staff, as then there would only be one rifle case instead of two.

Just expressing an opinion as an end-user.
Thank you.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He knew war,and was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/
Old 01-08-2021, 11:47 AM

If you are referring to the cases supplied with rifle purchases, I don't believe CMP does stock different cases for bolt rifles and Garands. This is based on recent personal observation and experience at the South Store. It is true that CMP has changed manufactures/suppliers and styles on the cases several times in the last few years, and I suppose it's possible that two different styles were in use concurrently. The current style (at least the one used at the South Store in November) is my personal favorite so far. Everything leaving the store at that time was in the same style case. Perhaps CMP will chime in with the official word!
Old 01-08-2021, 04:12 PM

You may want to consider it from a different viewpoint (that of CMP):
CMP doesn't sell gun cases. They don't offer a selection of different models, market them or even talk about them.
In order to get the rifles from the warehouse to the new owner they must be shipped. Over the years they have cried many methods and many new cases. The goal is to ship the rifles at the best cost to the customer. That cost is made up of 4 components:
1. Labor to pack and ship.
2. Cost of shipping container.
3. Cost from shipping company.
4. Cost of damages (returns, replacements due to damage, etc.). This can not be $0 (just not possible)

Over the years we have seen different cases, and will see more in the future as manufacturers change, QC issues form the suppliers come up, and better cases are offered to them (better as in fitting into the above equation).

CMP's goal is to get the rifle to you. They used to use rifle-size foam lined cardboard boxes. The damage rates were much higher. The total shipping cost to you is lower by using these cases. If the case is damaged in shipment and the rifle is not damaged, then the case did exactly what CMP intended, protected the rifle getting to you.
There were some QC issues with one of the boxes in the past few years; many Garand muzzles were breaking through. Generally the rifle survived 100% but they worked with the Mfg (changed Mfg; I don't recall).

The boxes are for CMP, not us. That we generally get a good quality case from our purchases that will hold most of our non-CMP firearms is simply a bonus.

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Closed Thread