Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2021, 09:43 PM

Default Getting To The South Store Early

Hoping to making my first trip to the South Store soon and was planning on arriving early before opening. I've been reading PH68's reports on waiting a couple of hours to get in. Since I've never been, I was wondering if people are actually lining up and standing at the door that early or waiting in their vehicles? I have Arthritis in my lower back and standing in one spot to long can get pretty painful. If I can move around a bit I'm fine. Makes me feel kind of wimpy when there are others who are in a lot worse shape than me. Guess I can walk in place if necessary.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:08 PM

Some times you can get lucky, but just opening back up probably not. Cold and wet today in Alabama. ROLL TIDE !
Old 01-12-2021, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyRGibson View Post
Hoping to making my first trip to the South Store soon and was planning on arriving early before opening. I've been reading PH68's reports on waiting a couple of hours to get in. Since I've never been, I was wondering if people are actually lining up and standing at the door that early or waiting in their vehicles? I have Arthritis in my lower back and standing in one spot to long can get pretty painful. If I can move around a bit I'm fine. Makes me feel kind of wimpy when there are others who are in a lot worse shape than me. Guess I can walk in place if necessary.
Some sit in their vehicles and put a chair in front of the door based upon their arrival time in line and then sit in their vehicle, others stand or sit themselves in their arrival time spot in line and stay there. It has always been a gentlemanly process and others respect each other’s position. Near opening someone will come out of the store and start a list of everyone that is there. On rare occasion someone may show up and think their in the front of the line and customers are very nice about telling them their number in line. It has never been a problem just lots of customers... Good luck
Old 01-12-2021, 10:51 PM

Another alternative is show up about an hour before closing time after they restocked. My first trip in September I didn't have to wait in line at all and they had just refilled the racks so it was as good or at least close to as good as it would have been first thing the next morning. I picked up a 1918 Marine Corps 03 and a 1918 built M1917 and a really nice rack grade M1 special.

Last edited by Capt.Tom; 01-12-2021 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Update
Old 01-13-2021, 06:33 AM

Thanks for the help everyone. Sounds like it wonít be a problem since I now know I can bring a chair. Iím only 50 and still work but the back canít stand being idle very long.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:36 AM

Does anybody know if the CMP stores are still taking reservations? That is what I did as I have health challenges and standing too long I get vertigo and migraines. So, I scheduled an appointment for first thing and didnít need to stand in line. Walked over 10min before open and they let me in. That was back in August and the North Store.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarterbore View Post
Does anybody know if the CMP stores are still taking reservations? That is what I did as I have health challenges and standing too long I get vertigo and migraines. So, I scheduled an appointment for first thing and didnít need to stand in line. Walked over 10min before open and they let me in. That was back in August and the North Store.

Store store isnít taking reservations, first come first serve.

Restocks are no guarantee at the end of the day!!! If the SS is busy during the day it could be restocked at anytime and most of the time itís NOT restocked late in the day. Capt Tom hit it just right on his visit and scored some super rifles. Racks are generally full at opening and restocks can be from a couple of rifles to many but you never know when, all based upon how busy they are. Good luck to all.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:41 PM

They just announced that there will be a limit of 2 M1 purchases at the stores:

"CMP customers and friends - we are rationing our ready to sale inventory and have up staffed to address the problem. For the time being, North, South, and Talladega store purchases will be limited to TWO M1 Garands per customer."
Old 01-13-2021, 06:10 PM

I enjoy standing in line with fellow Garand enthusiasts, waiting for the store to open. There is always interesting banter. And it builds that respectful, gentlemanly bond once the doors are open. I recommend bringing a chair. If someone waits in their car and then jumps in line somewhere, it will raise some eyebrows and cause some angst in my opinion.
Old 01-13-2021, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitten View Post
I enjoy standing in line with fellow Garand enthusiasts, waiting for the store to open. There is always interesting banter. And it builds that respectful, gentlemanly bond once the doors are open. I recommend bringing a chair. If someone waits in their car and then jumps in line somewhere, it will raise some eyebrows and cause some angst in my opinion.
I agree, waiting in the car without placing a chair before hand wouldnít be a good idea!!! But if you place the chair first and stay at the store, it has never been a problem that I have seen at opening. Sometimes itís just to dang cold or wet to wait two or three hours outside before opening and others just canít stand that long, me included since I had leg surgery. Good luck to all.