Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2016, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Default New tradition set at well-attended inaugural new england cmp games

NEW TRADITION SET AT WELL-ATTENDED INAUGURAL NEW ENGLAND CMP GAMES - JERICHO, Vt. – Those who missed the inaugural New England Games passed up an incredible opportunity for leisurely competition, social amusement and unforgettable marksmanship memories below the beautiful Vermont mountains, Sept. 14-18, 2016. An eager group of over 150 rifle and pistol competitors arrived at the Camp Ethan Allen Training Site (CEATS) to fire in the latest installment to the growing number of the Civilian Marksmanship Program’s (CMP) travel matches.

Read more at http://thecmp.org/new-tradition-set-...and-cmp-games/.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:32 PM

It was an outstanding event, and I look forward to attending next year!

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 10-04-2016, 07:37 PM

This was a fantastic event. I will attending next year for sure. Eddie
Old 10-04-2016, 09:48 PM

I would love to go next year but have zero experience in these types of events and don't think I'd know what to do and what I need. That's what kept me away this year.
Hebrews 9:27
Better make sure you know Jesus.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:56 PM

TrapperXX,
If you have a rifle and ammunition your on your way. You don't have to have all kinds of gear. A spotting scope is good to have. Most of the rest you can improvise. A movers blanket for a mat, a canvas coat, a oven mitt for a glove. I've seen all these used, some I used myself at one time or another. Also, you will be surprised with the amount of help you will get from other shooters. Everyone wants a new guy to enjoy themselves and do well.
So don't be bashful, sign up for a match be it local or regional and have a great time. Eddie

Last edited by epm729; 10-06-2016 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:32 AM

TrapperXX, dig around and see if there is a local club with CMP matches. Start there. It will be a laid back kind of match.

I did, back when the CMP required proof of marksmanship to purchase. I can still remember how silly nervous i was shooting my first match. It was good for me.

It is universal that at least 95 percent of the guys you will meet at a match are worth meeting and will treat you like gold.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:35 PM

All of us had no experience, and most would probably admit to being nervous about that lack of experience, until they shot their first match. And after that match, most would admit there was nothing to be nervous about, and they're now hooked.

A rifle, a sling, 35 rounds of ammo, two clips, empty chamber indicator, ear and eye protection, and water...that's all you need.

A shooting mat and glove, binoculars for scoring, lunch, sunscreen, a hat and a pen are all borderline necessary.

Things like heavy shooting coats, spotting scopes, carts, etc can all be acquired if you even decide you want them. They can help, and most have them, but they aren't by any means necessary.

Most new competitors I talk to are intimidated by working pits. Tell the guy in charge that you're new...he'll set you up with an old vet of the pits, and you'll have them down pat by the end of your first relay. Just remember not to pull the frame down during a rapid string, and pay close attention for your shooter's shots coming through in slow fire so you can mark and score them quickly.

Come on out and give that M1 a real job to do!
Old 10-06-2016, 10:46 PM

Thank you guys
I really would like that and will look into it further.
My club has 400 yard rifle and I have shot my M1s out that far. I do a lot better at 100 though..ha
I'd like to attend next year.
Hebrews 9:27
Better make sure you know Jesus.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperXX View Post
Thank you guys
I really would like that and will look into it further.
My club has 400 yard rifle and I have shot my M1s out that far. I do a lot better at 100 though..ha
I'd like to attend next year.
The GSM matches at the New England games, and there were 4 of them over 3 days, are all fired from 200 yards. Bring an M1 carbine and you can also shoot that fun 40 round match, that is fired from 100 yards!

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor